Let us know your feature requests - also vote for others.

Global Parameters per Run Configuration

As a tester I want to re-use the same tests on different environments. This would be possible if I could create a Test Run with it's own parameters. The Global Variables are currently bound to the Test Suite and therefore re-using the same tests for different environment is practically impossible. If the Global Parameters are bound to the test run the problem would be solved.

19 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Wim Machiels shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Stub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just had this feature request crop up in my own usage of Ranorex Studio. We test a few different flavours of our application. I've setup a Run Configuration for each flavour. I've also got a few Global Parameters which I feed into certain Code Modules to adjust various things. The tests are generic, but they need a little bit of guidance to the product flavour under test.

Say one of our QA team wants to run the tests from Ranorex Studio. They can easily select the correct Run Configuration from the drop-down list, but they're going to forget that they also have to customise a few Global Parameters *at the same time*. As the developer of these tests it's likely that I'm the only person that implicitly knows what needs updating.

Sure, we can do this via the command-line tools, but they're even less likely to use the command-line tools, and they still need to remember to update the Global Parameters that change.

I just want certain Global Parameters to be associated with the Run Configuration so that when I change one important/obvious thing (RunConfig) other tightly associated parameters change at the same time.

• Alex Crocker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My use case is simple: I want to be able to enter something like the version number, and have it be global across all test suites in the test run configuration. We have a single version number that is present across multiple AUT's

• Tolga Aydemir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No improvement here?
    I guess the scenario is when you do _not_ start the solution through a command line (why would you do so while developing). We have multiple global parameters which are different from environment to environment. So changing everyone of them everytime we want to check if something is broken on another environment is kind of annoying.
    And yes i know the possibilities through the commandline and jenkins but our scenario is _while_ developing through ranorex studio...

thanks in advance

• AdminRanorex (Ranorex Product Management, Ranorex) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am afraid I don't understand the original problem behind your idea. Different values for the same global parameter can be handed over to the test case by addressing the global parameter via the command line (e.g. /pa:globalParameterName="VALUE").

To better understand your problem, can you please describe your scenario? Thank you.

• Tolga Aydemir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i really do not know why the global/local variables and datasources are not bound to a run configuration. it seems so logical to me. it would make the project management a lot easier.

Feedback and Knowledge Base