Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

1. Please improve the API documentation, e.g. with code examples

The documentation of the Ranorex API is extremely minimalistic, making it very hard (if not impossible sometimes) to understand and use it. In my opinion, most explanations for classes, attributes and methods are so short that they provide no help at all. Information on how to work with the classes in context is missing. In rare cases you'll find some examples in the forum, but in general you're lost. Please take the trouble to really improve the API documentation. And/or offer some Advanced Training for automation engineers who want to learn the API. Thanks!

129 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for bringing this to our attention. This topic is currently the number one topic in our User Voice. We are aware that our API documentation is far from perfect, and we see the value in improving it ourselves.

We are currently investigating the options we have for this API documentation. We are not sure yet about details like the format or the platform. Additionally, there are some parts of the API are not meant for public use and only enable Ranorex Studio to do specific things, etc.

This means, we are aware of the issue and we are trying to figure out how to tackle this best.

Best Regards,
    The Ranorex Product Management Team

2. Reuse Testcases

Make it possible to use a testcase more than once in a testsuite, just as it is possible to reuse a recording or code module. This would allow more modular use of testcases.

127 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently investigating the issue again. One thing that will not be possible is to only use “references” to a test case (like it works with modules), but the requirement for unique test case (and Smart Folder) names could be changed. We are considering this for Ranorex 9.3, we can’t make any promises yet, though.

Best Regards,

3. Visual Studio plugin

Many Ranorex users prefer to use the MS Visual Studio IDE because of it's power and familiarity for .NET coding. It would be nice if Ranorex would make a VS plugin that was capable of presenting the test suites, repos, and modules the same way that Ranorex Studio does. This would allow us to use whichever IDE we are most comfortable with.

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your input.

What are the exact features that you would want to have? What should this plugin’s functionality be?

The minimun requirement would probably be an easy-to-use repository in some way, but what would you need in addition to that?

We would appreciate some feedback on this.

Best Regards,

4. Allow Variables as part of Validate action Match Value regex in Ranorex UI

Often when validating e.g. confirmation messages e.g. "Username has done something" I have a need to make username a variable read from dataset or parameter. In that case Match Value in validate statement would look like "@varUsername has done something". Unfortunately this is not currently supported by Ranorex making validation of dynamic regex expressions containing variable part not possible unless you do it via User Code action.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you again for your input.

We have investigated this, and also created a working prototype. However, it required some weird hacks in the background, and also the usability (special syntax) felt weird. We decided to not ship this feature for now until we can come up with a solution that feels better.

Best Regards,
    Thomas from the Ranorex Product Management Team

5. Sorting repository items

It would be nice to have the option to sort repository items. When adding additional items into the repository the ability to find items becomes more difficult. My naming convention is such that items are labeled to first identify where they are within the applications so when reviewing the repo items I could see if all the objects were captured and without being able to sort the Repo items this is more difficult to accomplish (having the search capability is great)

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you again for your input.

We are currently closely investigating this is part of a larger change for the repository view.

Basically, we have two options: Making sorting only on view level, or on data level. Both has advantages and disadvantages. If we only do it on view level, the changes through sorting won’t be persistent, if we do it on data level, they will be persistent. In the first case, a new element would automatically appear in the “correct” location, in the latter case it would appear at the bottom and in order to get the list sorted again, you would have to sort the list again. If it is only on view level, you can’t manually rearrange elements anymore, they would be sorted and that’s it.

What behavior would you as a user expect or prefer?

Best Regards,

6. Conditions enhancement: option to exclude unfulfilled conditional sections from report

Please consider adding an option to exclude unfulfilled conditional sections from report. For example, in my tests, I'm typically running just one section from let's say 5 or 10, but report still shows all these unfulfilled sections. They not only clutter the report with irrelevant sections (no matter they are grayed out) but they also make the report unnecessary big.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently investigating a few improvements for the conditions feature.

We still think that conditions should almost never be used in black box testing, but we see them as a tool that can and should be used in a few exceptions. Therefore we don’t want to build upon what we currently have to make it a full feature. However, we will consider a few Quality of Life improvements.

Best Regards,

7. Merge Ranorex reports together into one report.

It would be nice to be able to merge 2 or more reports together into one. For example if you run two individual Test Suits on seperate virtual machines and then export the report into a folder then it would merge those together to form a single report.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Multiple DataSources For a Single Test

Multiple Data Sources For a Single Test would allow a us to set a list of users in a single csv, a list of customers in anotehrs and a list of products in a third then combine them with all possible iterations over the set for exhaustive testing. Currently we have to nest test cases to get this functionality which junks up the test suite.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have talked about this in the past before. The problem with multiple data sources for one test case is actually the way the iterations work and how the iterations over the test case should be handled. This could potentially get very confusing.

However, we will evaluate if there is a solution that will both make sense and won’t be too confusing with the way iterations work with data connectors.

Best Regards,

9. Make Module Groups expandable in Test Case view

At the moment the only way to see what modules comprise a Module Group from Test Case view is to double click on it which would switch you to a Group View tab. This is not very handy if you want to review Group modules in context of a text case where that Group is used as you have to switch back and forth between Test Case and Grop View tabs multiple time.
    Please make Groups expandable in Test Case view the same way it is doe for [SETUP] and [TEARDOWN] special groups

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently looking into this. We see the need for this, since it is only a small usability issue it will probably not have a high priority for us. I can just promise that we won’t forget about it.

Best Regards,

10. Add expandable/collapsible actions blocks in Module View

In module view if modules contains a lot of actions often it is difficult to get/remember the an overall idea of what is being done.
    Using Separator action can help dividing the module actions into logical groups to some extent. However this does not allow to quickly see the overall logic structure of a module.
    Could you please implement expandable/collapsible sections that contain sets of actions something like what #region does in Visual Studio with the ability to expand/collapse all or individual regions?

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are evaluating this feature at the moment. However, since it is only a small usability issue, its priority will probably not be too high.

We also think that recording modules should not get too big, splitting it into different recording modules and/or use module groups would almost always be preferred.

Best Regards,

11. I would like to use Breakpoints from my Solution page on Test cases and Recording modules

It would save time to be able to stop the test where I want, look at the state of the application the continue the test if the application is working as expected. This would also be useful for training so I could stop the test where I want explain what the test has just done then continue to the next break point.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Since we are currently developing a pause/resume functionality for test runs (currently enabled with a key shortcut), it might be possible to also use this technology to implement some sort of “debug mode” on action level in the next iteration. We will take a look on it.

Best Regards,

12. Allow selection of multiple modules in Projects view

Sometimes I need to move or delete multiple modules quickly. Moving or Deletion of modules only possible from Projects view.

Unfortunately it is not possible to select multiple modules e.g. using Ctrl or Shift key in Projects view to do that.
    Please implement multiple selection in Projects view

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We see the need for this. Since both the module browser and the project view don’t provide the best possible functionality, we have a usability project for those on our backlog. As soon as we touch this part of Ranorex Studio, we will also consider this suggestion.
    We can’t make any promises on the time frame, though.

Best Regards,

13. Progressive Report Preview for Remote Test Execution

When my tests are running on some Agents it would be great to see the progress / status of the execution. E.g. which tests did pass already, what went wrong so far, ....

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I have put this to our backlog.
    Since this would require us to constantly send information over the network, this could be more effort than we would see it benefit our customers.
    Since we have several upvotes here on the UserVoice for it, I will get a work estimation from development to see if it would fit into a future release.

Best Regards,

14. Mobile Testing: Add a "clear cache" function to the Ranorex Browser (API included)

Some tests just won't work if the cache can't be cleared, e.g. registering new users to a website. I don't want to be forced to clear the cache manually every time by using third party apps or non-trivial workarounds, so adding a "clear cache" function to the RxBrowser would be very helpful both on Android and iOS devices.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please add support for Perforce souce control

Since Ranorex does not support Perforce source control it is very hard to merge the .rxrep and .rxtst files when multiple people are developing in parallel.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Upload the report automatically to the created Jira issue

Since version 9.1.0, I started to use Jira integration, I use automatically issue handling.

I'd like to see an option to upload the report to the created jira issue.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. It is impossible to change report level for compatible jUnit report

It should be possible to change report level for compatible jUnit report, because sometimes this file is too large, e.g. in my case it is about 500 MB.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Native support for codejock controls

Our software uses codejock controls for various different functions. We need to use rawtext to access the information. this can be hit and miss so it would be nice if there was native ranorex support for these controls so we can be less dependent on rawtext.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Multiple Test Suites and Test Sequence via command-line tools

We've recently upgraded to Ranorex v8.2 after one of the new features - multiple Test Suites - caught my eye.

I've integrated our Ranorex tests into our automated build system using the command-line tools. The "/testsuite|ts:[path to the test suite file]" switch lets us specify which test suite to execute, along with "/runconfig|rc:[configuration name]" to specify a run configuration.

Is there a means of specifying a test sequence file (that facilitates the running of multiple test suites inside Ranorex Studio) to the command-line tools? While I can update our build system to execute the command-line multiple times for each test…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. PDF Viewer for Testing

PDF Testing with Ranorex doesn't work too good (only with Firefox it works most of the time but it's not guaranteed that it still will work with future Updates by Mozilla). For better robustness and testing, I recommend a Ranorex PDF Viewer/Testing Tool. With that Viewer/Tool it should be easy for Ranorex to identify all Elements in a PDF and decide whether to test graphics/image/design or text or both.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We consider Ranorex a GUI testing tool, not a file validation tool. However, since this request comes in pretty often, we will take a look at it. If there is an easy way for Ranorex to do that, we might consider it for a future release.

Best Regards,

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base