Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

1. Support for JxBrowser version 7.3 and above

Hello,

Ranorex 9.2 is currently missing support for the latest versions of the popular JxBrowser v7.x.

JxBrowser version 6 is supported, but once the product is updated to v 7.3 (in my case), Ranorex Spy cannot detect any page elements.

Thanks,
    Bogdan L

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring back SmartFolder information in ProgressDialog

Since upgrading from Ranorex 9.1.2 to 9.2.1 the progress dialog is missing SmartFolder information.
    This is a valuable information that is used to investigate failures since we use extensively Smart Folders in all of our test cases.
    Please bring back this feature ... or at least give us the option to customize it !

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Report improvement - option to export report in CHM (compiled HTML help file) format

Hi,

Currently, Ranorex reports are not easy to distribute and view for non-technical people and people without installed Ranorex. Ranorex Report viewer does not exists as a standalone setup file and even if there would be such a thing like Rx report viewer installation package, people don't like installing an extra SW just for viewing reports ;)

Yes, we can save reports in HTML format, but this option creates list of files, which must be first compressed for easy distribution and then again, people must do some extra steps to view HTML-based report. True, there is available also PDF conversion,…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Databinding depending on Runconfig

To make full use of data driven testing approach it would be great to be able to switch the input data depending on the runconfig or at least be able to siwtch the input data by any trigger to make reuse of tests already written.
    Example : I have a Ranorex Solution for the programm i am supposed to test. I now implemented basic tests like is it possible to login and does the happy path for features work with a minimum of testdata. This runs in CI after each build with a sql database as datasource.
    Now i want…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Be able to concatenate variables in a recording module without coding

For the moment the only way to concatenate two variables to give to a Ranorex built-in action can only be achieved via user code.

By example I have var1 and var2 and I set a keyboard press action. I want to be able to pass an argument like $var1+$var2

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your input.

We have currently already done a small proof-of-concept for this (for validation actions). However, it adds some additional complexity (because we need another Setting to toggle if the string should be just a string or if it should be evaluated for special characters that are used for the concatenation syntax).
    We have decided against shipping this feature, yet, because we don’t think that it feels right just of yet. However, we still have it on our backlog, and we will continue to try to find a good solution for this.

Best Regards,
    Thomas from the Ranorex Product Management Team

6. Show all available JavaMethods on specific JavaElement

While a test engineer is automating a test it happens, that it is not known with native JavaMethods a specific JavaElement supports.

It would be great if Ranorex offers a method to show all available and application specific native Java Methods (like MethodWizard in UFT)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Support for screen dpi Scaling above 100%

Today's computers have HD screens or above, and for most laptop, it makes everything so small that ALL of the manufacturers recommend to use the Scaling at 125%
    All laptops that we use have the scaling 125% as a standard setting

We are testing desktop apps and Web pages
    All of those UI need to work fine in such a typical configuration: 125%
    I request that Ranorex supports the 125% dpi scaling in a much better way.
    All support blog that I see indicate to use only 100% scaling on all screens.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fill the cases attributes (Type, Priority...) in Testrail automatically with Ranorex Studio

Fill the cases attributes (Type, Priority...) in Testrail automatically with Ranorex Studio.
    These fields would appears and could be fill in Ranorex Studio when the Testrail integration would be done.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make position of progress dialog during test execution configurable

The progress dialog is displayed on the bottom right of the screen during test execution. Once the mouse pointer is moved there, it is positioned differently to reveal the area of interaction. However, in some cases, the progress dialog covers areas that are needed for visual debugging of the SUT. (For example when video recording is activated and the dialog covers an area where notificaitons are shown.) Deactivating the progress dialog is not always a viable solution.
    It would be very helpful to be able to configure where the progress dialog is positioned during test execution.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make it possible to extend an existing repository, similar to sub-classing

We're testing an application which has a few variations with a series of elements that are common to all variants. Ideally we should be able to have one core repository with all common elements and "child repositories" that inherit from the core for each variant. This way modifications in a core repository would propagate to all child repositories and we could even have elements in child repositories that are found within containers defined at the parent/common level. Presently, we have to either include one same repository in test suites for each variant and have all variations' UI elements included in…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Support for AdoptOpenJDK J9 JVM

Hi. It was discovered by our QA automation team that Ranorex does not seem to discover the UI component hierarchy when running with the IBM J9 JVM (part of AdoptOpenJDK ).
    Since Oracle no longer provides timely security patches going forward except for paid subscribers ($millions per year if we pursued this), we, like many companies in the same predicament have gone the OpenJDK route. IBM graciously pushes timely security patches to their OpenJDK project, so we have settled on their distribution.
    Ranorex works with their Hotspot JVM, but does not with their J9 JVM which imbues our application with…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Put back information of Smart folder name in "Running" window (i.e. progress window)

Put back information of Smart folder name in progress window.

"Running" window contained the name of Smart folder too in the former Ranorex versions. This information made possible to design well-structured test cases where the same recording is called with different parameters.

In Ranorex 9 this information is intentionally deleted.

Without displaying the smart folder name the progress window does not hold any relevant information when using a well-structured test case.
    Ex.: In one of my tests each of 10 trains should go through 5 kind of (in total 7) transitions. So the test is implemented by 5 different recordings…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Update plugin ranorex for jenkins (Multiple TestSuite Project)

It would be very useful if you update the Ranorex Plugin for Jenkins, to run multiple TestSuite.

For exemple, if we have a Project that contains three testSuites and we want to run only two of three testSuites through Jenkins, we will be obliged to enabled or disabled the testSuite from the sequence file in every execution.

Thank You.

Best Regards,

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow same folder name within same test suite.

If I want to make a template that would be "fixed" I can not because I have to change its description at all times.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your input.

We are actually currently already developing this. In the future, it will be possible to have test cases and Smart Folders with the same name.

Best Regards,
    Thomas from the Ranorex Product Management Team

15. Allow to use conditions in TearDown.

I have to enter conditions to close the system, because several banks have different conditions.
    And I'm having to use a folder to put my Teardown on but it would be more effective to add the condition to every output.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please add support for Perforce souce control

Since Ranorex does not support Perforce source control it is very hard to merge the .rxrep and .rxtst files when multiple people are developing in parallel.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. If a user opens multiple Ranorex solutions on the same machine it will take more than one Ranorex license

Hi,

At the moment, I'm comparing two Ranorex solutions at my own desk. I find it really annoying that it means that it's taking two licenses at the same time.

Is it possible to only use 1 license for that scenario? Since it's the same machine and the same user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Split the Test Suite on n agent and merge the report in one

It would be useful the option to split the run of one test Suite in n different agent in parallel.
    At the end the report will be one with the merge of the parallel results.
    also it will be nice to have the options to choose in which agent will run a particular test case

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Avoid TestRail Sync - Manual Mapping of Tests

Due to a recent bug that messed up my TestRail tests and my workflow I would love to get rid off the 2way sync between TestRail and Ranorex.

When I create tests I do this in TestRail...with a good documentation...good steps and so on...so as perfect as possible.

Then I just want to add a test in ranorex, right click on it and "Set TestRail ID...".
    From that time, the test is mapped to test testrail test without any synchronisation....just an easy mapping.

Benefits:
    - a sync error doesnt mess up the most important thing about my tests (the project…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Duplicating a recording module inside of the same project instead of having to create a new one and copy/paste the steps into it.

Going to save a lot of time instead of copying a test suite to run on a different platform/Environment.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23
  • Don't see your idea?

Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base