Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

1. Databinding depending on Runconfig

To make full use of data driven testing approach it would be great to be able to switch the input data depending on the runconfig or at least be able to siwtch the input data by any trigger to make reuse of tests already written.
    Example : I have a Ranorex Solution for the programm i am supposed to test. I now implemented basic tests like is it possible to login and does the happy path for features work with a minimum of testdata. This runs in CI after each build with a sql database as datasource.
    Now i want…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fill the cases attributes (Type, Priority...) in Testrail automatically with Ranorex Studio

Fill the cases attributes (Type, Priority...) in Testrail automatically with Ranorex Studio.
    These fields would appears and could be fill in Ranorex Studio when the Testrail integration would be done.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Make it possible to extend an existing repository, similar to sub-classing

We're testing an application which has a few variations with a series of elements that are common to all variants. Ideally we should be able to have one core repository with all common elements and "child repositories" that inherit from the core for each variant. This way modifications in a core repository would propagate to all child repositories and we could even have elements in child repositories that are found within containers defined at the parent/common level. Presently, we have to either include one same repository in test suites for each variant and have all variations' UI elements included in…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please add support for Perforce souce control

Since Ranorex does not support Perforce source control it is very hard to merge the .rxrep and .rxtst files when multiple people are developing in parallel.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Upload the report automatically to the created Jira issue

Since version 9.1.0, I started to use Jira integration, I use automatically issue handling.

I'd like to see an option to upload the report to the created jira issue.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Have option to ignore case when comparing UI text vs a database variable

I have a scenario where I need to compare text that is in a table on my page vs a value returned from a data driven loop. If the text on the UI is cased differently than my db value, it fails. I had to write code to convert the db variable to match the casing to do the compare. It seems very simple to have check to say "ignore case" and do the compare as all lowercase conversions.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add column "Pass/Fail" to TestSuite.rxtst file

It will be great to have this additional column in *.rxtst file to keep tracking results from Ranorex UI

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. pause

I would need a function, which makes a planned pause during the test run (means, the test run waits for a user input via hotkey or simple GUI) and then continues.
    This is not supposed to be related with working / not working test case, but a planned break.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. export a Ranorex report as an Excel file

i am trying to give a report to my team members on test case running results pass or failed.
    the report should be an excel file.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Elapsed time for steps at the time of execution

Ranorex was bought in our company by the quality management team for our software products.
    No I'm using it for Application Performance Monitoring.

With a few lines of C# code I measure the ellapsed time for getting the login page our web-app (with some reference measurements to migrate deviation) --> Service Level Agreements

It works pretty well, but it would be simplyer if I could get the measurements from ranorex at the time of execution.

(Parsing the report for the execution time is difficult too, because we have a lot of changes in the test cases at the moment)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. A couple of ideas on Global Parameters

What I would find useful for Global Parameters:

- somehow mark, in the reports, which ones were actually bound to the current test

- export the global parameters to some XML or CSV file and import them back into another solution

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Build the Ranorex Solution without having the Repository.cs file in the solution folder

Lack of Ranorex plugin in Teamcity we build our Ranorex solution via visual studio and because of that we need to store Repository.cs file in version control system.
    We always have merge conflict in this file and after the merge we need to rebuild our solution in Ranorex studio so that it re-generates Repository.cs file.

Could you create a solution for this problem or creating Ranorex plugin to Teamcity?

Thank you,
    Geza

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Multi-touch gesture support

Touch has been partially supported for a while but does not include complex gestures such as two finger pinch, twist, swipe etc

Multi-touch gestures should be supported.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Have a setting to select an alternate AbortKey without having to go to code

Newer Dell notebooks and Surface tablets no longer have a labeled Pause key. Our workaround has been to change Keyboard.AbortKey in the Program.cs file. Since the lack of a Pause key is machine-based it would be useful to have a user setting to select / override the coded Pause key.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Mask global parameters in Data Binding and Report files

When using the ************************* plugin for example, all the Report files that will be sent to the **** board contain your credentials (defined in the global parameter section) such as the user name and the password. This is a huge security issue because everyone who has access to the board can actually download the Report files and search for the password defined as $Jira_Password = 'abc' for example.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Code Review for code Modules in Ranorex Studio

It would be a great idea to have a Code review functionality in Ranorex Studio.
    At present we don't have any provision in Ranorex for the review comments. the work around for it is to have again VS installed and raise the review request in VS and check the comments in the VS.

It would be great if Ranorex provide new window are open's new window with TFS data background.

Below is my requirement:
    Steps to Create New Code Module:
    1. We will get the task in TFS to create a code module.
    2. User1 will start the development of…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Keyboard shortcut to collapse all items

A shortcut to collapse all entries in "Module Browser", "Projects" and "Test Suite" Trees would be great:

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow module groups to contain modules from multiple projects

Sometimes we have to execute the same sequence of recordings multiple times. Not all of these recordings are from in the same project.
    Currently this is done by running the modules from a Code Module, but i think it would be more manageble if they could be grouped in a Module Group.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. protractor

Support execution of protractor capabilities in Ranorex, for Angular based Web applications (similar to the Selenium support)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your input.

May I ask what you want to achieve with this support? Because web applications are easy to automate by using plain Ranorex Studio anyway. And Ranorex also doesn’t have “Selenium support” in any way, it can just use the WebDriver infrastructure to run tests there.

I would really be interested in how you would picture such a support and whar use cases you would have/what problems this would solve for you.

Best Regards,
    Thomas from the Ranorex Product Management Team

20. Comments added to repository elements should be displayed in context menus tooltips for code modules.

Comments added to repository elements could be displayed in the context menu tooltip when adding it in code modules.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base