Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

Let us know your feature requests - also vote for others.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Execute TestCase via cmd inclusive the parent steps (e.g. setup of an root smartfolder)

Execute Testcase by selecting it in the Testsuite, implicitly select and execute the parent steps (e. g. a Setup of an parent smartfolder). If you will execute it, via the command line (/tc:TESTCASE), only the TESTCASE, without the parent steps, will be execute. Finally there is no way to get the same behavior by using the command line.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Ranorex work on linux

It would be great if we can use Ranorex on linux, then we can test applications developed for linux.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Conditions Enhancement - extend the options beyond equals and not equals.

We assign a level to each of our tests and it would be nice to be able to select them using conditions - e.g. if <= test level then run test.
    Having to add rules to cover all the higher level tests is clumsy.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Run Configuration dependent [SETUP] & [TEARDOWN]

Make [SETUP] & [TEARDOWN] regions configurable - add the possibility of having smart folders and using check-boxes to select specific steps for specific Run Configurations.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Functionality of renaming Ranorex Record on TestSuite and functionality Find in Folder

Add functionality of renaming ranorex record instantly on TestSuite and functionality find ranorex record in folder

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Easily selectable and out-of-the-box report views

Currently the reports are very customizable, which is great for companies that need a lot of flexibility. There would be much value however in having "starting point" templates that show how the reports can be customized. Without standard training like this we are left to hack together our own reports the best we can.

These templates would give out-of-the-box standard ways to generate Summary, Simple, Dashboard or Advanced report views (among others) to get someone that has never customized a report going in the right direction.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add custom variable to Report File name

We like to use custom variables, which were generated during testing, an add these value(s) to the Report File name.

We want to this feature to add serial numbers of our products to the filename.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Possibility to iterate over columns instead of rows in data tables

This makes sense for language translation tables, where ther are appr. 4 languages and hundrets of texts in each language.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Have option to ignore case when comparing UI text vs a database variable

I have a scenario where I need to compare text that is in a table on my page vs a value returned from a data driven loop. If the text on the UI is cased differently than my db value, it fails. I had to write code to convert the db variable to match the casing to do the compare. It seems very simple to have check to say "ignore case" and do the compare as all lowercase conversions.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. enable the video recording via code in Ranorex API

I would like to enable the video recording via code in Ranorex API.
    This recording feature is really game changer and it is really shame that we cannot use it from Ranorex API. Ranorex API even define enums, but cannot be set Ranorex Documentation
    TestReport.VideoRecordingMode Enumeration
    Namespaces ► Ranorex.Core.Reporting ► TestReport ► TestReport.VideoRecordingMode

Workaround to use the command line argument within "Program.cs" dose not allowed to use it in .dll.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. pause

I would need a function, which makes a planned pause during the test run (means, the test run waits for a user input via hotkey or simple GUI) and then continues.
    This is not supposed to be related with working / not working test case, but a planned break.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow multiple different versions of Ranorex to be installed on same machine

Allow multiple different versions of Ranorex to be installed on same machine

I am currently trying to upgrade from ranorex 7.1 to ranorex 8.1 and am encountering various problems in 8.1 that force me to revert to 7.1. Each time I have to do this I need to uninstall 8.1 and re-install 7.1 because ranorex does not support multiple versions being installed on the same machine. This is becoming very tiresome and wastes a lot of my time. I would like to see Ranorex support the ability to 2 or more versions installed on the same machine at the same…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. export a Ranorex report as an Excel file

i am trying to give a report to my team members on test case running results pass or failed.
    the report should be an excel file.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Elapsed time for steps at the time of execution

Ranorex was bought in our company by the quality management team for our software products.
    No I'm using it for Application Performance Monitoring.

With a few lines of C# code I measure the ellapsed time for getting the login page our web-app (with some reference measurements to migrate deviation) --> Service Level Agreements

It works pretty well, but it would be simplyer if I could get the measurements from ranorex at the time of execution.

(Parsing the report for the execution time is difficult too, because we have a lot of changes in the test cases at the moment)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Build the Ranorex Solution without having the Repository.cs file in the solution folder

Lack of Ranorex plugin in Teamcity we build our Ranorex solution via visual studio and because of that we need to store Repository.cs file in version control system.
    We always have merge conflict in this file and after the merge we need to rebuild our solution in Ranorex studio so that it re-generates Repository.cs file.

Could you create a solution for this problem or creating Ranorex plugin to Teamcity?

Thank you,
    Geza

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Multi-touch gesture support

Touch has been partially supported for a while but does not include complex gestures such as two finger pinch, twist, swipe etc

Multi-touch gestures should be supported.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Have a setting to select an alternate AbortKey without having to go to code

Newer Dell notebooks and Surface tablets no longer have a labeled Pause key. Our workaround has been to change Keyboard.AbortKey in the Program.cs file. Since the lack of a Pause key is machine-based it would be useful to have a user setting to select / override the coded Pause key.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Code Review for code Modules in Ranorex Studio

It would be a great idea to have a Code review functionality in Ranorex Studio.
    At present we don't have any provision in Ranorex for the review comments. the work around for it is to have again VS installed and raise the review request in VS and check the comments in the VS.

It would be great if Ranorex provide new window are open's new window with TFS data background.

Below is my requirement:
    Steps to Create New Code Module:
    1. We will get the task in TFS to create a code module.
    2. User1 will start the development of…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Keyboard shortcut to collapse all items

A shortcut to collapse all entries in "Module Browser", "Projects" and "Test Suite" Trees would be great:

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to disable/enable mixed selection of TestCases/SmartForlders and recordings.

Please add the ability to disable/enable mixed selection of TestCases/SmartForlders and recordings.

Currently, it's only possible to disable/enable TestCases/SmartFolders and Recordings separately. In other words, one can't select mix of TestCases/SmartFolders and recordings and then from right click menu, disable them all at once. This is only possible with Recordings (code modules). TestCases and Smart Folders must be "disabled" (unchecked) one by one, via their respective checkbox. Thanks in advance!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Feedback and Knowledge Base