Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

1. Report improvement - option to export report in CHM (compiled HTML help file) format

Hi,

Currently, Ranorex reports are not easy to distribute and view for non-technical people and people without installed Ranorex. Ranorex Report viewer does not exists as a standalone setup file and even if there would be such a thing like Rx report viewer installation package, people don't like installing an extra SW just for viewing reports ;)

Yes, we can save reports in HTML format, but this option creates list of files, which must be first compressed for easy distribution and then again, people must do some extra steps to view HTML-based report. True, there is available also PDF conversion,…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Keyboard shortcuts for Ranorex Studio control

Some more shortcuts like 'Ctrl+w' (close Modul), 'Ctrl+Tab' (jump to next tab/module) for better usabilty of Ranorex would be great

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support for screen dpi Scaling above 100%

Today's computers have HD screens or above, and for most laptop, it makes everything so small that ALL of the manufacturers recommend to use the Scaling at 125%
    All laptops that we use have the scaling 125% as a standard setting

We are testing desktop apps and Web pages
    All of those UI need to work fine in such a typical configuration: 125%
    I request that Ranorex supports the 125% dpi scaling in a much better way.
    All support blog that I see indicate to use only 100% scaling on all screens.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make it possible to extend an existing repository, similar to sub-classing

We're testing an application which has a few variations with a series of elements that are common to all variants. Ideally we should be able to have one core repository with all common elements and "child repositories" that inherit from the core for each variant. This way modifications in a core repository would propagate to all child repositories and we could even have elements in child repositories that are found within containers defined at the parent/common level. Presently, we have to either include one same repository in test suites for each variant and have all variations' UI elements included in…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Report all retried logs

It would be useful if all the retried logs could be outputted to Ranorex report (.rxlog).
    Currently, only the retried count and the final retry is logged to the Ranorex report (
    .rxlog), if an error occurs in the container with 'Retry Count' property.
    Of course log files (*.log) provides all the retry logs, but it would be more useful if there is an option to report all the retry logs into the Ranorex report.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make Ranorex work on linux

It would be great if we can use Ranorex on linux, then we can test applications developed for linux.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your input.

However, be aware that it’s not as easy as saying “If Ranorex works on Linux, I can also test my Linux applications”. Porting Ranorex Studio to Linux would itself already be a huge feat, but technology support for the different UI technologies would also have to be implemented. So which UI technology to support? Java (Swing, AWT, SWT, FX, …) might seem logical, because it’s platform-independent. However, it doesn’t work like this, because we would still have to develop a new, Linux-based plugin also for Java support.

Ranorex Studio is tied to Windows very tightly. Maybe we get more freedom at some point with .NET Core, but this is – at best – a long term goal.

Best Regards,
    The Ranorex Product Management Team

7. Remote debugging

It would be great if Ranorex was able to run the test with debugger on a remote agent.
    This would enable us to debug the test in different environments.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow Creation and Deletion of TestSuites/TestCases.

Ranorex studio has an immense setup for TestSuites and TestCases, but they can't be controlled in code.
    If we're using the license, we should have flexibility to Create and Teardown Test Suites and Test Cases. It doesn't make too much sense that we can't do this in Ranorex studio.

The basic functionality is great for non-programmers, but this toolset would free programmers to make truly dynamic test cases

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add Check for Updates to the expected location for updates - the Help menu

Almost all current software these days have a Check for Updates option under the Help menu, or under Help – About. That is where people expect to find links to the current version.

The problem with the existing implementation showing "A new version is available" on the home page is that it's only shown when there's a new version - people want to check to see if they are running the current version. And after I used the product for a while I stopped seeing the home page - I only clicked on my project to open it. I never,…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. See CSS style properties from Spy

To make it easier to see both element attributes and CSS style properties in one place, it would be useful to see CSS properties from Spy rather than having to use developer tools in a browser as well or use WebElement.GetStyle from code.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Objects not recognized when pages are refreshed

we have application where the pages are refreshed (dynamically updated) each second. Ranorex is not able to recognize the objects in the page during refresh as Ranorex lose all of the objects when page is refreshed.
    Unfortunately this is not supported by Ranorex currently. This would be helpful for people who wanted to use Ranorex to identify objects which are refreshed frequently.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Databinding depending on Runconfig

To make full use of data driven testing approach it would be great to be able to switch the input data depending on the runconfig or at least be able to siwtch the input data by any trigger to make reuse of tests already written.
    Example : I have a Ranorex Solution for the programm i am supposed to test. I now implemented basic tests like is it possible to login and does the happy path for features work with a minimum of testdata. This runs in CI after each build with a sql database as datasource.
    Now i want…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Be able to concatenate variables in a recording module without coding

For the moment the only way to concatenate two variables to give to a Ranorex built-in action can only be achieved via user code.

By example I have var1 and var2 and I set a keyboard press action. I want to be able to pass an argument like $var1+$var2

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your input.

We have currently already done a small proof-of-concept for this (for validation actions). However, it adds some additional complexity (because we need another Setting to toggle if the string should be just a string or if it should be evaluated for special characters that are used for the concatenation syntax).
    We have decided against shipping this feature, yet, because we don’t think that it feels right just of yet. However, we still have it on our backlog, and we will continue to try to find a good solution for this.

Best Regards,
    Thomas from the Ranorex Product Management Team

14. Add authentication to add Ranorex Agent

Currently, there is no authentication process to add an Agent. Any Ranorex user in my network can connect to my agent and run any script on it without my permission. It would be great if an authentication key can be added to add a Ranorex Agent so that the key can be provided to limited members to add Ranorex Agent.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Mask global parameters in Data Binding and Report files

When using the ********************* plugin for example, all the Report files that will be sent to the board contain your credentials (defined in the global parameter section) such as the user name and the password. This is a huge security issue because everyone who has access to the board can actually download the Report files and search for the password defined as $Jira_Password = 'abc' for example.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Having the possibility to use dynamic capablilites in RanoreXPath

Having the possibility to use dynamic capabilities in RanoreXPath in mobile web documents as it works with general web documents.

For example with general web documents it is possible to do :

/dom[@domain='example.com']//a[@data-i='1']

This does not work when testing in a mobile browser, as it is not possible to make a selection on a dynamic capability.

It would be great to have it working for both, to ensure the testing can be done on each device/browser.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ranorex to export results to TestRail plan as well as run (have a collection of runs)

When I have a data connector on my test runs, so it will iterate my tests for example in different browsers, I want to have my results exported to TestRail as a test plan (collection of runs) instead of a TestRail test run.

With it being a test run, each iteration result overwrites the previous iterations run result, and therefore only shows one result for each of the test cases, not one per iteration.

This is possible only at present by running one iteration at a time, and pointing it to the test run that already exists within the existing…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Multiple Test Suites and Test Sequence via command-line tools

We've recently upgraded to Ranorex v8.2 after one of the new features - multiple Test Suites - caught my eye.

I've integrated our Ranorex tests into our automated build system using the command-line tools. The "/testsuite|ts:[path to the test suite file]" switch lets us specify which test suite to execute, along with "/runconfig|rc:[configuration name]" to specify a run configuration.

Is there a means of specifying a test sequence file (that facilitates the running of multiple test suites inside Ranorex Studio) to the command-line tools? While I can update our build system to execute the command-line multiple times for each test…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow multiple different versions of Ranorex to be installed on same machine

Allow multiple different versions of Ranorex to be installed on same machine

I am currently trying to upgrade from ranorex 7.1 to ranorex 8.1 and am encountering various problems in 8.1 that force me to revert to 7.1. Each time I have to do this I need to uninstall 8.1 and re-install 7.1 because ranorex does not support multiple versions being installed on the same machine. This is becoming very tiresome and wastes a lot of my time. I would like to see Ranorex support the ability to 2 or more versions installed on the same machine at the same…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Reports to PDF for each Test Case

Currently the Reports to PDF module only works for the whole Test Suite rather than have the option to add it for each Test Case. We find by having PDF Reports per Test Case then this can be distributed easily(only provide the relevant information and smaller file sizes) if required.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base