Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

Let us know your feature requests - also vote for others.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Ranorex recorder does not identifies Xpaths having relational operators in Object Repository

Many objects in our object repository contain relational operators like following-sibling, preceding-sibling, ancestor, parent etc., for example as shown below:

//b[@innertext='abc']/ancestor::tr/td[2]
    //a[@innertext='xyz']/parent::td/following-sibling::td
    //select[@id='abc123']/parent::td/preceding-sibling::td/label

Such objects can be highlighted using Spy without any issues, but not picked up in the recordings.

The recorder is creating duplicate objects for such elements with Xpaths like below:

body/div[2]/div/div[1]/div/div/?/?/table/tbody/tr[2]/td[@innertext~'^ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ ']

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Conditional execution at the test step level...

Would be very useful if there was a way to set one or more steps in a recording to run or be skipped over if previous step (be it a validation or another action) failed or passed.

This would essentially be a very basic if-then-else at the step level within a single recording where the subsequent step's execution is dependent on the result of a previous step.

Please see attached for a specific example where this would be beneficial but really this could be used all throughout different scenarios.

Example1: execute validation step if previous step passed but skip if…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Remote debugging

It would be great if Ranorex was able to run the test with debugger on a remote agent.
    This would enable us to debug the test in different environments.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Creation and Deletion of TestSuites/TestCases.

Ranorex studio has an immense setup for TestSuites and TestCases, but they can't be controlled in code.
    If we're using the license, we should have flexibility to Create and Teardown Test Suites and Test Cases. It doesn't make too much sense that we can't do this in Ranorex studio.

The basic functionality is great for non-programmers, but this toolset would free programmers to make truly dynamic test cases

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add Check for Updates to the expected location for updates - the Help menu

Almost all current software these days have a Check for Updates option under the Help menu, or under Help – About. That is where people expect to find links to the current version.

The problem with the existing implementation showing "A new version is available" on the home page is that it's only shown when there's a new version - people want to check to see if they are running the current version. And after I used the product for a while I stopped seeing the home page - I only clicked on my project to open it. I never,…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. See CSS style properties from Spy

To make it easier to see both element attributes and CSS style properties in one place, it would be useful to see CSS properties from Spy rather than having to use developer tools in a browser as well or use WebElement.GetStyle from code.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ability to copy and paste table data into the SimpleDataConnector table UI

Currently, if I want to add data into a simple data connector table, I have to individually add columns and rows then paste or type into each cell one at a time. It would be great if I could copy a whole table or selection of data from e.g. Excel/Word, comma/tab separated etc. and the table populate or expand accordingly.
    It is acceptable to have to manually enter/rename the column titles once they have been created.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. API access to license manager - total amount, type, status of licenses,...

we need a way to control execution of jenkins jobs based on license availability. and also for managing our license usage overall.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Symlink in Repository

It would be good to have the possibility to create 1 repository item and link it in multiple sektion in the repository.

For example you create for each test case a folder which contains all required items for this specific test case.

Instead of copying the same repository item (which means you have to change it item if the xpath changes) i would like to have a main item which can be linked in the repository.

You only have to change the main item and all linked repository items will be changed automatically.

This would allow a more structured repository,…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Objects not recognized when pages are refreshed

we have application where the pages are refreshed (dynamically updated) each second. Ranorex is not able to recognize the objects in the page during refresh as Ranorex lose all of the objects when page is refreshed.
    Unfortunately this is not supported by Ranorex currently. This would be helpful for people who wanted to use Ranorex to identify objects which are refreshed frequently.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Keyboard shortcuts for Ranorex Studio control

Some more shortcuts like 'Ctrl+w' (close Modul), 'Ctrl+Tab' (jump to next tab/module) for better usabilty of Ranorex would be great

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow access to repository and module groups from referenced module library .dll

Today when referencing a module library (.dll file) from another solution, "only" recording and code modules are directly available. It would be very valuable if one could reach the repository and module groups from the referenced module library.

A big part of the work of creating automated tests are to create reliable and solid definitions of repository items. If these items could be defined centrally in a module library which could then be referenced and reused from many other test suites it would allow for a better structure and increased possibility to reuse repositories, minimizing double work and most important…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Export of test case to MS Word or MS Excel

Export of test case to MS Word or MS Excel

There is no possibility of exportation.
    It would be very helpful and important if you could support the export of test cases (description, steps..) to the MS Word and/or MS Excel format.

Testlink (also Tosca) for example supports this...it´s not the best but it does.

Our development often ask for this.

Many thanks

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your input. May I ask for some clarification?

What exactly would you need this for? What is the use case? What would you want to do with these exports? Which type of information should be in there?

Since after an export, a test would lose all executability, I would assume it has to do with some type of reporting?

I would appreciate an answer to this.

14. Mobile Testing: Add a "clear cache" function to the Ranorex Browser (API included)

Some tests just won't work if the cache can't be cleared, e.g. registering new users to a website. I don't want to be forced to clear the cache manually every time by using third party apps or non-trivial workarounds, so adding a "clear cache" function to the RxBrowser would be very helpful both on Android and iOS devices.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add authentication to add Ranorex Agent

Currently, there is no authentication process to add an Agent. Any Ranorex user in my network can connect to my agent and run any script on it without my permission. It would be great if an authentication key can be added to add a Ranorex Agent so that the key can be provided to limited members to add Ranorex Agent.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Support new NuGet format

In Visual Studio 2017 NuGet is intregated into MSBuild using PackageReference instead of the packages.config.
    This has some advantages, such as improved overview, improved performance etc.
    It would be great if Ranorex would comply with this new format.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Having the possibility to use dynamic capablilites in RanoreXPath

Having the possibility to use dynamic capabilities in RanoreXPath in mobile web documents as it works with general web documents.

For example with general web documents it is possible to do :

/dom[@domain='example.com']//a[@data-i='1']

This does not work when testing in a mobile browser, as it is not possible to make a selection on a dynamic capability.

It would be great to have it working for both, to ensure the testing can be done on each device/browser.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. xpath relationship operator to return an HTML cell, based of cell found in row and column

Currently, there is no way to define an xpath, which would return a cell, based of cell found in HTML row and given table column.

Here is an example of simple HTML table:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <body>

<table style="width:100%">
    <tr>
    <td>ID</td>
    <td>Col_A</td>
    <td>Col_B</td>
    <td>Col_C</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>ABC123</td>
    <td>3</td>
    <td>2</td>
    <td>1</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>CDE456</td>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>22</td>
    <td>33</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

</body>
    </html>

Now let's say, I want to define an xpath, which would return a value from column "Col_B", but only from the row, in which is found cell value "CDE456". Something like this is currently not possible with single xpath.

There…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make hotkey of instant Tracking feature configurable

Hi Folks,

im using Ranorex in an Windows 10 Environment and i take advantage of the windows 10 multi desktop feature.
    When i switch the desktops (Hotkey CTRL+WIN and an Arrow Key) and clicking something to fast, the Ranorex Intant Tracking feature will be aktivated and add random stuff to my repository.

So here the Question: Is there any possibility to deaktivate the feature or to change the hotkey?
    I am using Ranorex 8.01

Best regards,
    Kai

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Data binding during runtime for parallel testing using selenium web driver

At present changing the data connector during runtime depending on the grid node on which the test is currently running is not possible. Ranorex always executes the test on the grid hub endpoint and so, Ranorex can’t identify what node the grid hub is currently choosing for running the test.

It would be really helpful if Ranoex can Support the execution of the same testsuite parallely on different nodes but with different data source.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Feedback and Knowledge Base