Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

1. Allow Creation and Deletion of TestSuites/TestCases.

Ranorex studio has an immense setup for TestSuites and TestCases, but they can't be controlled in code.
    If we're using the license, we should have flexibility to Create and Teardown Test Suites and Test Cases. It doesn't make too much sense that we can't do this in Ranorex studio.

The basic functionality is great for non-programmers, but this toolset would free programmers to make truly dynamic test cases

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Check for Updates to the expected location for updates - the Help menu

Almost all current software these days have a Check for Updates option under the Help menu, or under Help – About. That is where people expect to find links to the current version.

The problem with the existing implementation showing "A new version is available" on the home page is that it's only shown when there's a new version - people want to check to see if they are running the current version. And after I used the product for a while I stopped seeing the home page - I only clicked on my project to open it. I never,…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. See CSS style properties from Spy

To make it easier to see both element attributes and CSS style properties in one place, it would be useful to see CSS properties from Spy rather than having to use developer tools in a browser as well or use WebElement.GetStyle from code.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to copy and paste table data into the SimpleDataConnector table UI

Currently, if I want to add data into a simple data connector table, I have to individually add columns and rows then paste or type into each cell one at a time. It would be great if I could copy a whole table or selection of data from e.g. Excel/Word, comma/tab separated etc. and the table populate or expand accordingly.
    It is acceptable to have to manually enter/rename the column titles once they have been created.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Objects not recognized when pages are refreshed

we have application where the pages are refreshed (dynamically updated) each second. Ranorex is not able to recognize the objects in the page during refresh as Ranorex lose all of the objects when page is refreshed.
    Unfortunately this is not supported by Ranorex currently. This would be helpful for people who wanted to use Ranorex to identify objects which are refreshed frequently.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. enable the video recording via code in Ranorex API

I would like to enable the video recording via code in Ranorex API.
    This recording feature is really game changer and it is really shame that we cannot use it from Ranorex API. Ranorex API even define enums, but cannot be set Ranorex Documentation
    TestReport.VideoRecordingMode Enumeration
    Namespaces ► Ranorex.Core.Reporting ► TestReport ► TestReport.VideoRecordingMode

Workaround to use the command line argument within "Program.cs" dose not allowed to use it in .dll.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow access to repository and module groups from referenced module library .dll

Today when referencing a module library (.dll file) from another solution, "only" recording and code modules are directly available. It would be very valuable if one could reach the repository and module groups from the referenced module library.

A big part of the work of creating automated tests are to create reliable and solid definitions of repository items. If these items could be defined centrally in a module library which could then be referenced and reused from many other test suites it would allow for a better structure and increased possibility to reuse repositories, minimizing double work and most important…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make Ranorex work on linux

It would be great if we can use Ranorex on linux, then we can test applications developed for linux.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your input.

However, be aware that it’s not as easy as saying “If Ranorex works on Linux, I can also test my Linux applications”. Porting Ranorex Studio to Linux would itself already be a huge feat, but technology support for the different UI technologies would also have to be implemented. So which UI technology to support? Java (Swing, AWT, SWT, FX, …) might seem logical, because it’s platform-independent. However, it doesn’t work like this, because we would still have to develop a new, Linux-based plugin also for Java support.

Ranorex Studio is tied to Windows very tightly. Maybe we get more freedom at some point with .NET Core, but this is – at best – a long term goal.

Best Regards,
    The Ranorex Product Management Team

9. Add authentication to add Ranorex Agent

Currently, there is no authentication process to add an Agent. Any Ranorex user in my network can connect to my agent and run any script on it without my permission. It would be great if an authentication key can be added to add a Ranorex Agent so that the key can be provided to limited members to add Ranorex Agent.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Support new NuGet format

In Visual Studio 2017 NuGet is intregated into MSBuild using PackageReference instead of the packages.config.
    This has some advantages, such as improved overview, improved performance etc.
    It would be great if Ranorex would comply with this new format.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Having the possibility to use dynamic capablilites in RanoreXPath

Having the possibility to use dynamic capabilities in RanoreXPath in mobile web documents as it works with general web documents.

For example with general web documents it is possible to do :

/dom[@domain='example.com']//a[@data-i='1']

This does not work when testing in a mobile browser, as it is not possible to make a selection on a dynamic capability.

It would be great to have it working for both, to ensure the testing can be done on each device/browser.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make hotkey of instant Tracking feature configurable

Hi Folks,

im using Ranorex in an Windows 10 Environment and i take advantage of the windows 10 multi desktop feature.
    When i switch the desktops (Hotkey CTRL+WIN and an Arrow Key) and clicking something to fast, the Ranorex Intant Tracking feature will be aktivated and add random stuff to my repository.

So here the Question: Is there any possibility to deaktivate the feature or to change the hotkey?
    I am using Ranorex 8.01

Best regards,
    Kai

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow multiple different versions of Ranorex to be installed on same machine

Allow multiple different versions of Ranorex to be installed on same machine

I am currently trying to upgrade from ranorex 7.1 to ranorex 8.1 and am encountering various problems in 8.1 that force me to revert to 7.1. Each time I have to do this I need to uninstall 8.1 and re-install 7.1 because ranorex does not support multiple versions being installed on the same machine. This is becoming very tiresome and wastes a lot of my time. I would like to see Ranorex support the ability to 2 or more versions installed on the same machine at the same…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Data binding during runtime for parallel testing using selenium web driver

At present changing the data connector during runtime depending on the grid node on which the test is currently running is not possible. Ranorex always executes the test on the grid hub endpoint and so, Ranorex can’t identify what node the grid hub is currently choosing for running the test.

It would be really helpful if Ranoex can Support the execution of the same testsuite parallely on different nodes but with different data source.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Execute TestCase via cmd inclusive the parent steps (e.g. setup of an root smartfolder)

Execute Testcase by selecting it in the Testsuite, implicitly select and execute the parent steps (e. g. a Setup of an parent smartfolder). If you will execute it, via the command line (/tc:TESTCASE), only the TESTCASE, without the parent steps, will be execute. Finally there is no way to get the same behavior by using the command line.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Conditions Enhancement - extend the options beyond equals and not equals.

We assign a level to each of our tests and it would be nice to be able to select them using conditions - e.g. if <= test level then run test.
    Having to add rules to cover all the higher level tests is clumsy.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Run Configuration dependent [SETUP] & [TEARDOWN]

Make [SETUP] & [TEARDOWN] regions configurable - add the possibility of having smart folders and using check-boxes to select specific steps for specific Run Configurations.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to disable/enable mixed selection of TestCases/SmartForlders and recordings.

Please add the ability to disable/enable mixed selection of TestCases/SmartForlders and recordings.

Currently, it's only possible to disable/enable TestCases/SmartFolders and Recordings separately. In other words, one can't select mix of TestCases/SmartFolders and recordings and then from right click menu, disable them all at once. This is only possible with Recordings (code modules). TestCases and Smart Folders must be "disabled" (unchecked) one by one, via their respective checkbox. Thanks in advance!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Functionality of renaming Ranorex Record on TestSuite and functionality Find in Folder

Add functionality of renaming ranorex record instantly on TestSuite and functionality find ranorex record in folder

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Easily selectable and out-of-the-box report views

Currently the reports are very customizable, which is great for companies that need a lot of flexibility. There would be much value however in having "starting point" templates that show how the reports can be customized. Without standard training like this we are left to hack together our own reports the best we can.

These templates would give out-of-the-box standard ways to generate Summary, Simple, Dashboard or Advanced report views (among others) to get someone that has never customized a report going in the right direction.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base