Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

Let us know your feature requests - also vote for others.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Make screen shot sizes larger in pdf reports. Currently, screen shots are not legible in print outs.

We are a regulated company and need to add pdf reports as a proof of evidence to test plans for inspections. However, screen shots in pdf reports are too small and are not legible in print outs. Even increasing screen shot size to 100% does not help. Please make screen shots larger so that the numbers, letters etc on screen shots can be more visible and readable in print outs.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Mark generated .cs files with .g.cs or .generated.cs

In order to have a clean repository without versioning the automaticaly generated files, it would be helpfull fi these files are marked by the normaly used file extension .g.cs or .generated.cs

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Private variables in test modules

Sometimes we're using variables only inside a module. It would be great if it was possible to implement them as private variables.

Private variables should not be visible to the test suite.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Integrated Password Encryption

I realize uservoice suggestions regarding password encryption have been reviewed and declined in the past. I'm proposing something a bit different.
    Back when I was using Quick Test Professional, they had a little password encryption tool where you could run your password through and use the output string in a set secure method during automation.
    I'd like to see a similar integration in Ranorex. I could build something out myself, but the encryption keys would be either be in the code base or I'd have to distribute dll files.
    Ranorex is in a better position to provide this relatively simple…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Conditions enhancement: Allow the use of a variable/parameter on the right side of the condition

Currently a condition allows a parameter or variable on the left side but only a string on the right side of the equal/not equal sign. I would like the ability to use a parameter/variable in place of the string.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow overloads in UserCodeCollections' UserCodeMethods to be selected in UI

When a UserCodeMethod has the same name like another UserCodeMethod in the same UserCodeCollection but a different signature, then the UI displays an error. There are so many examples where it does make sense to equally name the methods but only distinguish by signature.

Example: ExecuteSQL(string sql), ExecuteSQL(string sql, object[] parameters), ExecuteSQL(string sql, object[] parameters, string connectionString)

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ranorex plugin support for EO.WebBrowser

Currently there is no plugin support for this browser.
    There is a workaround to have some controls show as Elements
    https://www.ranorex.com/forum/eo-webbrowser-for-net-t8202.html
    But these controls don't have the same properties as a native Ranorex plugin.
    Since EO.WebBrowser is a web browser engine based on Google's Chrome project, it should be possible to integrate the Ranorex plugin.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Bulk cleanup of repositories

It would be useful to bulk clean up all repositories in a solution at once without having to select each repository manually one at a time and click Cleanup on each.

Especially when we have a huge solution with over 600 repositories.

I understand that if the repository is used by another solution it could break that other solution but this is not an issue if this is not the case and the bulk cleanup can simply warn you about this.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Avoid TestRail Sync - Manual Mapping of Tests

Due to a recent bug that messed up my TestRail tests and my workflow I would love to get rid off the 2way sync between TestRail and Ranorex.

When I create tests I do this in TestRail...with a good documentation...good steps and so on...so as perfect as possible.

Then I just want to add a test in ranorex, right click on it and "Set TestRail ID...".
    From that time, the test is mapped to test testrail test without any synchronisation....just an easy mapping.

Benefits:
    - a sync error doesnt mess up the most important thing about my tests (the project…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Conditions in Module-Level

I think most of us don't want to create 100 Modules because the IF-Conditions are only Available in the upper Level. And User-Code may be bad for some Testcases (Image Validation for exmaple doesn't work good in Ranorex Usercode -> Many Bugs and it is not possible to replace Image easily and so on). So finally give us IF-Condition (and later maybe more while/do-while...) in Modules.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. See CSS style properties from Spy

To make it easier to see both element attributes and CSS style properties in one place, it would be useful to see CSS properties from Spy rather than having to use developer tools in a browser as well or use WebElement.GetStyle from code.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ranorex recorder does not identifies Xpaths having relational operators in Object Repository

Many objects in our object repository contain relational operators like following-sibling, preceding-sibling, ancestor, parent etc., for example as shown below:

//b[@innertext='abc']/ancestor::tr/td[2]
    //a[@innertext='xyz']/parent::td/following-sibling::td
    //select[@id='abc123']/parent::td/preceding-sibling::td/label

Such objects can be highlighted using Spy without any issues, but not picked up in the recordings.

The recorder is creating duplicate objects for such elements with Xpaths like below:

body/div[2]/div/div[1]/div/div/?/?/table/tbody/tr[2]/td[@innertext~'^ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ ']

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. [Mobile] Send Keys/Key Sequence for Android

Add a function to input text using a more realistic way (think of Key Sequence when writing desktop/mobile tests) into mobile controls. This will greatly improve testing on mobile devices as the use of SetValue("Text") is prone to errors and does not trigger the events of the control. This will often lead to values not getting set correctly and results in validation errors. Using Workarounds to get text input to register properly does also increase the run time.

This is also very important if you want to create a realistic test because SetValue does not set the value of a…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. have a pdf version of user guide

Not just an online version of user guide

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Remote debugging

It would be great if Ranorex was able to run the test with debugger on a remote agent.
    This would enable us to debug the test in different environments.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add Check for Updates to the expected location for updates - the Help menu

Almost all current software these days have a Check for Updates option under the Help menu, or under Help – About. That is where people expect to find links to the current version.

The problem with the existing implementation showing "A new version is available" on the home page is that it's only shown when there's a new version - people want to check to see if they are running the current version. And after I used the product for a while I stopped seeing the home page - I only clicked on my project to open it. I never,…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to copy and paste table data into the SimpleDataConnector table UI

Currently, if I want to add data into a simple data connector table, I have to individually add columns and rows then paste or type into each cell one at a time. It would be great if I could copy a whole table or selection of data from e.g. Excel/Word, comma/tab separated etc. and the table populate or expand accordingly.
    It is acceptable to have to manually enter/rename the column titles once they have been created.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. API access to license manager - total amount, type, status of licenses,...

we need a way to control execution of jenkins jobs based on license availability. and also for managing our license usage overall.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Symlink in Repository

It would be good to have the possibility to create 1 repository item and link it in multiple sektion in the repository.

For example you create for each test case a folder which contains all required items for this specific test case.

Instead of copying the same repository item (which means you have to change it item if the xpath changes) i would like to have a main item which can be linked in the repository.

You only have to change the main item and all linked repository items will be changed automatically.

This would allow a more structured repository,…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Objects not recognized when pages are refreshed

we have application where the pages are refreshed (dynamically updated) each second. Ranorex is not able to recognize the objects in the page during refresh as Ranorex lose all of the objects when page is refreshed.
    Unfortunately this is not supported by Ranorex currently. This would be helpful for people who wanted to use Ranorex to identify objects which are refreshed frequently.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Feedback and Knowledge Base