Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

Let us know your feature requests - also vote for others.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Provide an option for Teardown regions that they will only be executed on fail

An option to make the Teardown region only execute on failure. So in the Test Suite, I could right click on a global (Test Suite-level) teardown region and select an option to execute only on failure.
    The reason for this is that I can then have a simple teardown module that would kill the test application process (as in your new Automation Helper Method). Then in a Test case I would try to close KeePass cleanly, but if this went wrong or any other module failed, then the global teardown would execute and kill the application ready for the next…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Conditions enhancement: option to exclude unfulfilled conditional sections from report

Please consider adding an option to exclude unfulfilled conditional sections from report. For example, in my tests, I'm typically running just one section from let's say 5 or 10, but report still shows all these unfulfilled sections. They not only clutter the report with irrelevant sections (no matter they are grayed out) but they also make the report unnecessary big.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Cleanup / Remove unused modules

I know in the Repository you can click the cleanup button and it will clean up the repository for you.
    I am wondering if you could add something similar that I can click on to cleanup / remove unused modules?
    I know I can right click on each one and select show all references and see if it is in use or not, but with almost 200 modules in my test case that’s going to take a while. It would be nice to have a similar button / feature like the repository cleanup button but for unused modules.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Multiple DataSources For a Single Test

Multiple Data Sources For a Single Test would allow a us to set a list of users in a single csv, a list of customers in anotehrs and a list of products in a third then combine them with all possible iterations over the set for exhaustive testing. Currently we have to nest test cases to get this functionality which junks up the test suite.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add possibility to change duration for ApplicationNotRespondingException by code

It is possible to change this on a PC in RanorexConfig8.xml.

There is 2 problems:
    1) It is not in the project
    2) It is not possible to change it during a test (I need this for my application)

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Have a decent User Guide for Studio & API

Instead of the bundle of outdated Forum advice (dating back to 4 years and 3 major version ago(!)), outdated Blog posts ("Best practices" referring to 2 versions ago (!)) and minimalistic online User Guide, let's have

-> an offline,
    -> complete (EVERY dropdown-menu-item),
    -> version-aware (let's not read text to get informed at the end that the new version does this differntly),
    -> searchable (not have the info on "cool Studio feature" be hidden under "clstdftr" in the API description),
    -> possibly even Tool-Tippy,

DECENT MANUAL

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Better Test Case documentation options

The only way to currently write Test Case Documentation within Ranorex is to use the Description fields and run a custom XSLT to generate an HTML-file which outputs the comments for each Test Case in a list. It would be great if there were an out-of-the-box-solution to generate Test Case Documentation from Ranorex directly. (Maybe with a checkbox "

Additionally, the only formatting options available in the Description fields are: bold, italics, underline and hyperlinks. These should be easily extendable to include lists and other formatting options.

Lastly, it would be nice if the Description fields were a bit better…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make Module Groups expandable in Test Case view

At the moment the only way to see what modules comprise a Module Group from Test Case view is to double click on it which would switch you to a Group View tab. This is not very handy if you want to review Group modules in context of a text case where that Group is used as you have to switch back and forth between Test Case and Grop View tabs multiple time.
    Please make Groups expandable in Test Case view the same way it is doe for [SETUP] and [TEARDOWN] special groups

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Validation should have Timeout property.

I see in Ranorex Studio it has Duration property but it is not the same as Timeout.
    Validate with a Duration set to 30 seconds will consume 30 seconds even when validation condition is met after, say 100ms which is simple waste of time.
    Use WaitForExists (WaitForNotExists) to simulate Validate with Timeout forces to have unmaintainable number of items in the repository.
    For those who code much there is a workaround: wrap Validate in a loop with timeout (or maybe create own Validation class).
    But the workaround is not the solution.
    If Validate can have Timeout property it would resolve…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow the Running of the Remote Agent without Admin Rights

It would be helpfull if it would be possible to run the remote agent client without admin rights because in larger corporations it is difficult to get a user with these rights.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Drag & Drop Items from SPY to Repository

In WPF Application, which has 20 Objects several steps deep in RxPath, it is painstakingly slow to add each item into Repository.

For Example Parent Container Path (Already in Repository)
    /form[@automationid='MasterWindow']/container[@automationid='parentDock']/element[@automationid='OBjManager']//element/element[@automationid='mdiContainer']//element[@caption~'^Unique Value #']/container[@automationid='MyContainer']

- I have 20 Objects - TextBoxes, ComboBoxes, RadioButtons etc.. it would really be nice to Select all these & drag frop it with the Names as show in Spy.
    These can be added with just the last step in the Path from which SPY is deriving the Name of the Object

- The parent may Other Objects/ Descendants under this path which are NOT to be…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow "run from here" at the Test Suite level

In a test module you can "Run To Here" and "Run From Here", but at the test suite level you can only "Run To Here."

Often when a running test suite encounters a problem I stop the test, fix the problem, then wish to continue. To do so I have to manually run each Test Case individually.

If that happens in a test module I can fix the problem then start the test module using Run From Here. I can also use Run To Here in a module.

I should be able to right-click a test case in the test…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Auto-Bound Test Variables

When creating a Test Variable, it would be awesome if I could choose to turn on an "auto-bind" attribute.

Currently my process is to create a free-typed module variable, being careful to name it the same name as an existing test suite variable, then go into each test case binding and click "auto-bind" to bind it. If instead test variables could be marked with a new "auto-bind" attribute...it would save lots of time manually re-binding it later. For instance when I copy or move a test case and have to go back and click the auto-bind again...and again...and again.

Along…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Independent datasources for SETUP & TEARDOWN

It would be great to be able to associate data sources to setup and teardowns independent of their parent test case.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make REST testing as easy as SOAP

There is an interface for adding SOAP services to Ranorex Studio, but RESTful service testing must be done in user code. There is a good RESTful service testing tool in Chrome apps called "PostMan" which is used by a lot of people, and SoapUI from SmartBear is similar if not really over complicated. I would like to see a PostMan type interface in Ranorex Studio for adding, and testing RESTful web services.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Global Parameters per Run Configuration

As a tester I want to re-use the same tests on different environments. This would be possible if I could create a Test Run with it's own parameters. The Global Variables are currently bound to the Test Suite and therefore re-using the same tests for different environment is practically impossible. If the Global Parameters are bound to the test run the problem would be solved.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. To display test execution progress in system tray

When scheduled an execution, we can't see how much percent execution is completed. There should be an icon or something which will display either execution coverage in % or graphically.
    It should display same when execution is scheduled from Ranroex Testsuite as well as if it is scheduled using batch file.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Grouping of DataConnectors

It would be great if you could allow users to group data connectors into simple folder or something. I have long list of data connectors and kind of hard to find what I'm looking for

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Upgrade Ranorex Studio to Support C# 7/.NET Standard/.NET Core

Currently Ranorex only supports up to C# 5.0 (per feedback from support) and does not seem to be able to install an NuGet packages that use .NET Standard or .NET Core. Using VIsual Studio 2017 or ReSharper for code editing usually causes issues as they use newer C# language features.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add expandable/collapsible actions blocks in Module View

In module view if modules contains a lot of actions often it is difficult to get/remember the an overall idea of what is being done.
    Using Separator action can help dividing the module actions into logical groups to some extent. However this does not allow to quickly see the overall logic structure of a module.
    Could you please implement expandable/collapsible sections that contain sets of actions something like what #region does in Visual Studio with the ability to expand/collapse all or individual regions?

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Feedback and Knowledge Base