Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

1. Merge Ranorex reports together into one report.

It would be nice to be able to merge 2 or more reports together into one. For example if you run two individual Test Suits on seperate virtual machines and then export the report into a folder then it would merge those together to form a single report.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add possibility to change duration for ApplicationNotRespondingException by code

It is possible to change this on a PC in RanorexConfig8.xml.

There is 2 problems:
    1) It is not in the project
    2) It is not possible to change it during a test (I need this for my application)

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Upgrade Ranorex Studio to Support C# 7/.NET Standard/.NET Core

Currently Ranorex only supports up to C# 5.0 (per feedback from support) and does not seem to be able to install an NuGet packages that use .NET Standard or .NET Core. Using VIsual Studio 2017 or ReSharper for code editing usually causes issues as they use newer C# language features.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your input.

Currently, we are trying to change out our old code-gen tool for a new one. This would enable Ranorex to always support the newest C# versions. However, our code-gen is so deeply rooted into Ranorex Studio that this is more of a long-term project for us. We are working on it, but we won’t be there yet within the next few months.

Best Regards,
    Thomas from the Ranorex Product Management Team

4. Have a decent User Guide for Studio & API

Instead of the bundle of outdated Forum advice (dating back to 4 years and 3 major version ago(!)), outdated Blog posts ("Best practices" referring to 2 versions ago (!)) and minimalistic online User Guide, let's have

-> an offline,
    -> complete (EVERY dropdown-menu-item),
    -> version-aware (let's not read text to get informed at the end that the new version does this differntly),
    -> searchable (not have the info on "cool Studio feature" be hidden under "clstdftr" in the API description),
    -> possibly even Tool-Tippy,

DECENT MANUAL

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We know that our documentation is far from perfect. A better API documentation is the highest-voted feature here in the user voice.

On the other hand, we have released our new user guide several months ago. The new guide is far more detailed than the old one, and we have started to provide more material than ever before.

A possible next step could be an offline version (export) of the user guide. Would this be interesting for you, or are there more pressing topics in our documentation?

We would appreciate some input.

Best Regards,
    The Ranorex Studio Product Management Team

5. Better Test Case documentation options

The only way to currently write Test Case Documentation within Ranorex is to use the Description fields and run a custom XSLT to generate an HTML-file which outputs the comments for each Test Case in a list. It would be great if there were an out-of-the-box-solution to generate Test Case Documentation from Ranorex directly. (Maybe with a checkbox "

Additionally, the only formatting options available in the Description fields are: bold, italics, underline and hyperlinks. These should be easily extendable to include lists and other formatting options.

Lastly, it would be nice if the Description fields were a bit better…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make Module Groups expandable in Test Case view

At the moment the only way to see what modules comprise a Module Group from Test Case view is to double click on it which would switch you to a Group View tab. This is not very handy if you want to review Group modules in context of a text case where that Group is used as you have to switch back and forth between Test Case and Grop View tabs multiple time.
    Please make Groups expandable in Test Case view the same way it is doe for [SETUP] and [TEARDOWN] special groups

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are currently looking into this. We see the need for this, since it is only a small usability issue it will probably not have a high priority for us. I can just promise that we won’t forget about it.

Best Regards,
    The Ranorex Product Management Team

7. Make REST testing as easy as SOAP

There is an interface for adding SOAP services to Ranorex Studio, but RESTful service testing must be done in user code. There is a good RESTful service testing tool in Chrome apps called "PostMan" which is used by a lot of people, and SoapUI from SmartBear is similar if not really over complicated. I would like to see a PostMan type interface in Ranorex Studio for adding, and testing RESTful web services.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Global Parameters per Run Configuration

As a tester I want to re-use the same tests on different environments. This would be possible if I could create a Test Run with it's own parameters. The Global Variables are currently bound to the Test Suite and therefore re-using the same tests for different environment is practically impossible. If the Global Parameters are bound to the test run the problem would be solved.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Drag & Drop Items from SPY to Repository

In WPF Application, which has 20 Objects several steps deep in RxPath, it is painstakingly slow to add each item into Repository.

For Example Parent Container Path (Already in Repository)
    /form[@automationid='MasterWindow']/container[@automationid='parentDock']/element[@automationid='OBjManager']//element/element[@automationid='mdiContainer']//element[@caption~'^Unique Value #']/container[@automationid='MyContainer']

- I have 20 Objects - TextBoxes, ComboBoxes, RadioButtons etc.. it would really be nice to Select all these & drag frop it with the Names as show in Spy.
    These can be added with just the last step in the Path from which SPY is deriving the Name of the Object

- The parent may Other Objects/ Descendants under this path which are NOT to be…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We already have the feature to add all matching children of an element to the repository. This is probably the nearest we can come to your request.

Something that will not be possible at all is to have multi-select in the Spy, because elements are too vastly different to be able to provide a multi-select option that makes sense.

Is there something more that you actually need?

Best Regards,

10. Add step numbers in reports

Without the need to customize the report files, can we have a default way to add the step numbers to each report file?

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Grouping of DataConnectors

It would be great if you could allow users to group data connectors into simple folder or something. I have long list of data connectors and kind of hard to find what I'm looking for

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

For Ranorex 9.2 we have an update for the Data Binding workflow and UI planned. The DataConnectors dialog is not part of this update, however, please tell us (after the release of course) if this new UI does make a difference for you and if it solves some of your problems already, or if we should still consider this suggestion.

If you are interested in getting a first glimpse into this early, please consider joining the Ranorex Beta program. The 9.2 beta will be released around the start of September.

Best Regards,
    Thomas from the Ranorex Product Management Team

12. Add expandable/collapsible actions blocks in Module View

In module view if modules contains a lot of actions often it is difficult to get/remember the an overall idea of what is being done.
    Using Separator action can help dividing the module actions into logical groups to some extent. However this does not allow to quickly see the overall logic structure of a module.
    Could you please implement expandable/collapsible sections that contain sets of actions something like what #region does in Visual Studio with the ability to expand/collapse all or individual regions?

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are evaluating this feature at the moment. However, since it is only a small usability issue, its priority will probably not be too high.

We also think that recording modules should not get too big, splitting it into different recording modules and/or use module groups would almost always be preferred.

Best Regards,

13. Module Groups Including Other Module Groups

Today Module Groups can contain recordings. I am constantly wishing I could create a module group which included other module groups. This would go a long way toward both DRYing up code, reducing time spent during design, and improving reusability.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add search boxes for parameters and variable binding

Foremost in big projects there are many parameters and variable bindings. Sometimes it is really messy to find the correct one. In addition, the parameters can not be sorted by name, which makes the search even more difficult. Maybe filters for unbound and bound might be cool too.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are currently working on a UI overhaul for the data binding functionality. Many UI issues that we currently have there should be solved with this refurbishment.

Best Regards,

15. Allow selection of multiple modules in Projects view

Sometimes I need to move or delete multiple modules quickly. Moving or Deletion of modules only possible from Projects view.

Unfortunately it is not possible to select multiple modules e.g. using Ctrl or Shift key in Projects view to do that.
    Please implement multiple selection in Projects view

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We see the need for this. Since both the module browser and the project view don’t provide the best possible functionality, we have a usability project for those on our backlog. As soon as we touch this part of Ranorex Studio, we will also consider this suggestion.
    We can’t make any promises on the time frame, though.

Best Regards,

16. Avoid TestRail Sync - Manual Mapping of Tests

Due to a recent bug that messed up my TestRail tests and my workflow I would love to get rid off the 2way sync between TestRail and Ranorex.

When I create tests I do this in TestRail...with a good documentation...good steps and so on...so as perfect as possible.

Then I just want to add a test in ranorex, right click on it and "Set TestRail ID...".
    From that time, the test is mapped to test testrail test without any synchronisation....just an easy mapping.

Benefits:
    - a sync error doesnt mess up the most important thing about my tests (the project…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I would like to use Breakpoints from my Solution page on Test cases and Recording modules

It would save time to be able to stop the test where I want, look at the state of the application the continue the test if the application is working as expected. This would also be useful for training so I could stop the test where I want explain what the test has just done then continue to the next break point.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Since we are currently developing a pause/resume functionality for test runs (currently enabled with a key shortcut), it might be possible to also use this technology to implement some sort of “debug mode” on action level in the next iteration. We will take a look on it.

Best Regards,

18. Make Offline Help available again

Since version 7.1.0 there is no offline help available any longer. Since we are using Ranorex on PCs without connection to the internet, no help in Ranorex is available any longer.

It would be good, if offline help would be re-introduced in Ranorex. version 7.1.0

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Mark generated .cs files with .g.cs or .generated.cs

In order to have a clean repository without versioning the automaticaly generated files, it would be helpfull fi these files are marked by the normaly used file extension .g.cs or .generated.cs

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support enum as parameter-type in UserCodeMethods

Currently basic types as parameters are supported for UserCodeMethods like string, double etc.
    It would be very helpful, if enums would also be supported:

[UserCodeMethod]
    public static void MyUserMethod(RepoItemInfo repItem, MyEnum action)
    {

}

public enum MyEnum {
    A,B,C
    }

In the recording view the user should see a dropdown with the all the possible enum-values listed.

Current workaround is using a string as parameter without providing the user any help what are possible values. Also I have to validate the user-input before usage.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base