Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

1. Can we have the feature to pass the instance of the Chrome that was opened by Ranorex using endpoint to use Selenium API with it.

It will be good if we can get the instance of the opened chrome or web application (using endpoint). so that we can use the web instance as selenium API function to it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. LabView Support for newer Ranorex versions

LabView Support or Plugin like in former Ranorex versions would be helpful

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Conditions enhancement: add possibility to set new data range if a condition is met

In many of my test cases, I need to set the data range, based of parent data connector variable or parameter value. Currently, I'm doing this via code, which is kind of messy and so obvious for new team members. Since we now have Conditions in Ranorex, it would be great to have an option not only enable/disable the container, but also set new data range. Thanks for considering this!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Be able to set image validation Properties defaults

In Settings it is possible to set the Image Similarity threshold for image comparisons to 0,97, such that for all image comparisons I will make in the future in the properties of those Validation steps the Image similarity is put to 0,97. Now I also would like to set as default the Properties-options: Report Similarity to Always and Continue on Fail to True. However I need to do this for every Validation I make again and again, is there no way to set it once and for all?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make Binded data viewable in ranorex report(.rxzlog) with a single click

Upto to now, in the Ranorex report by clciking on 'expand details' button, it just expand the modules in the Report, however it doesn't expands the binded data of the corresponding test case, so as of now we have to go to each test case and to click on the 'view data' button in order to see the binded data. It would be good to have a button which expands all fields in a single click in the Report (probably in the 'Expand Details' button itself).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Nested Queries in RanorexPath

Today RanorexPath can not handle nested queries (aka predicate queries). Such nested queries would be extremely useful in identifying an object based on child objects such as a row with specific cell contents or a form with specific child nodes.

For example:

//form[//text[@AccessibleName='Mark mixture as surface ?']] would return the form object directly. However under the current implementation the RxPath would have to get to the text object and that traverse back up to the Form object. //form//text[@AccessibleName='Mark mixture as surface ?']/ancestor::form

See https://www.ranorex.com/forum/x-path-not-working-in-ranorex-spy-t11008.html and https://www.ranorex.com/forum/ranorexpath-with-descendant-predicates-t7764.html

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Call a user code module with parameters at Testsuite level and change/fill parameter values without opening data binding interface

It would be great to have a feature to call user code module directly under Testsuite level with parameters and these parameters can be filled/changed directly without having to open data binding interface.

In recording module, this feature is already available.
    It just need to be implemented at Testsuite level.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Table checkpoints

When working with a Table say a webtable, the end user should be able to add validation on entire table contents same as QTP and also data drive / parameterise it. which minimizes coding.

Ranorex should have all the built-in checkpoints similar to that of QTP with datadriving ability, however at present it validates only the attributes of an element in question.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. List test cases in project EXE via cli

I wish this was just a built in function of any Ranorex project binary EG: Project.exe /ListAllTestCases but that does not seem to be the case unless I am missing something or there is a hidden switch somewhere. We should not need code to get a dump of the test names within the EXE file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make enabling the Chrome addon automatic at install

When multiple VMs are started, or you have a lot of runtime machines you may want to automatically enable the chrome addon. This can be accomplished with automation, but can it be more automatic on install of Ranorex runtime?

Does anyone else have any ideas or thoughts on this?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Choose data source directly from File in TestSuite Runner

Currently I can build a test and deploy it with its associated data source files (in my case Excel) to control the iterations and parameters. The tester that is executing can choose which tests they would like to run, but can only choose from pre-defined data connectors which data files they would like to run them with. We have dozens of configurations to choose from currently, and that number is going to continue to grow. Creating new data connectors each time they want a new test configuration is not an option.

I'm currently trying to make their lives easier and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Jump to item = Jump to module item

It's kind of illogical to make the function "jump to item" go into the repository item rather then into module item which basically selects the item of repository either way. I think many of us automation engineers would agree with me when I say, that the majority problems are often related to the order of elements and jumping straight into the module group would make our lives easier.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I need to be able to Export all of my Comments from my testsuite in the order they will be run for training and management purposes.

Currently I am opening each .vb file and deleting the code lines, then copying the Comments into one big file and sorting them into order. This takes a ridiculous amount of time.
    My manager wants to know which steps have been automated and the manual testers could use my comments to step through the test manually if the need to or to help them learn what my automated tests do.
    Exporting the Comments or Code in .txt format would save me a lot of time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your input.

There is no easy way in Ranorex to achieve this, and there also is not a lot of resonance for this feature yet.

You can do something similar when using our TestRail extension through TestRail, though.

Best Regards,
    Thomas from the Ranorex Product Management Team

14. Ranorex Spy 9 - Generate C# code should include the [RepositoryImage] public CompressedImage GetScreenShot1() item

I observed the difference as follows:

1) Open Ranorex Studio IDE. Create a new project. Create the object repository with a ScreenShot1. Build the solution. Ranorex has automatically generated C# code for the object repository. The generated C# code contains the [RepositoryImage] public CompressedImage GetScreenShot1() item as seen below.

/// <summary>

/// Gets the Screenshot1 item image.
    /// </summary>
    /// <returns>The Screenshot1 image.</returns>
    [RepositoryImage("33ceaf78-8cb7-4728-ab7e-947fa014fd2e")]
    public CompressedImage GetScreenshot1()
    {
    return GetImage("33ceaf78-8cb7-4728-ab7e-947fa014fd2e");
    }

2) Open Ranorex Spy 9. Create the object repository with a ScreenShot1 and manually generate C# code. The generate C# code does not contain the [RepositoryImage] public CompressedImage GetScreenShot1()…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. LicenseManager running with Linux Server

To avoid high licence costs for Windows Server, a small licence manager within Linux OS would be nice. It can be used within .NET Core 3.1. but better would be native Linux implementation.

Our UseCase:
    Having several VM in a Cloud environment e.g. Azure, starting from scratch and beeing deleted after test, it is not possible to copy and run the Ranorex Licence directily on the VM, because the risk of loosing the licence is too high if the VM crash. Running a Ubuntu Server in Azure is half the price as a Windows Server per month. So we would…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve databinding

With Version 9.3 databinding has changed so that is hardly to use for my test cases. I have 50 databinding files from different projects. Now the option ‘Copy file to project’ has to be used. All databinding files are now in my project directory. This makes the directory quite complex. It would be perfect if the databinding files could be grouped in different folders. Furthermore it would be great if databinding files from other projects could be selected in the data sources without ‘Copy file to my project’. At the moment I have to use the pre-build event to copy…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Create a new Jira issue once a previous Jira from the same solution is closed. Currently, the old one just gets reopened

If my solution fails it creates a Jira. We fix the problem, rerun the solution and the Jira gets closed. Works well. However, if the same solution runs on it's next scheduled run and fails, it does not create a new Jira. It just reopens the old one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Microsoft Azure Key Vault

Possibility to use the Microsoft Azure Key Vault to store und share Ranorex Floating Licences without installing the License Manager.

This would ease the whole licensing procedure when working with Azure VM environments.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please make it possible to know how many test case in a Test suite and how many steps a Test case has

Currently it not possible to know how many test case a test siute has if you didnt snyc the test suite to Testrail.
    It would be really useful to know how many test case a test suite has.

Also to know how many steps a test case has. Just like an example, a Test case consists 1 recording, 2 code module, 1 smart folder and smart folder has 4 code module. In this case Test case could have 7 steps.
    It could help us fo find out the complexity of test cases

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)