Let us know your feature requests - also vote for others.

Allow the Running of the Remote Agent without Admin Rights

It would be helpfull if it would be possible to run the remote agent client without admin rights because in larger corporations it is difficult to get a user with these rights.

25 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ralph.Radtke shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminRanorex (Ranorex Product Management, Ranorex) responded  · 

Hello,
I am happy to inform you that Ranorex Studio 9.1. was released which features at least part of this idea.
You can now start AUTs without admin privileges even if the test runs as administrator (i.e. with admin rights). That way you can make sure your AUT is started with “normal” rights also when run on an agent.
The agent itself has not changed and is still by default run with administrative rights which are needed to provide all agent functionalities.

For more information, see our What’s New page:
ranorex.com/what-is-new
You find the link to the most recent Ranorex Studio version on the Studio startpage or can download it from here:
ranorex.com/free-trial

Best regards
The Ranorex Product Management

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we could handle installing as admin and running as a normal user. As our SUT is integrated into existing products under an administrator account those products are allowed different permissions and user interfaces to the normal accounts. In some cases it can work under admin accounts and not user accounts on some systems. Thus we have to test under user account to be sure it works across operating system versions.

• AdminRanorex (Ranorex Product Management, Ranorex) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your input. By reading through the comments we see here two requests:

1) Install the Agent with admin user and execute the Agent as a normal user
    2) Install and execute the Agent as a normal user

We totally understand the first request but need your input on the second request. You will need an admin to install the agent (port, ...). If this is done, the admin user is not needed anymore because once the Agent is installed, it will always be there (running as admin) until you uninstall it. No need to give another user admin rights.

Could you please provide us more input here?

Thanks

• sam1974 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me it does not block if it needs admin rights for a propper setup. It just needs to be able to eun under a normal user to execute the tests as rhe normal user.

• AdminRanorex (Ranorex Product Management, Ranorex) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding admin rights:
    Please help me to understand your root problem. Is it that you don't have admin rights?

If it would be possible to run agents without admin rights, you still need to open the port on the machine which requires admin rights. How would you handle this?

Can you give me please some more thoughts on this? Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need this to realistically emulate standard users who are never given administrative privileges

• staylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to launch the AUT as a non-admin user as well as an admin user (in different test suites) because it behaves differently in each case. Allowing the Remote Agent to "Launch AUT As User" would be fantastic.

• Patrice Renard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Application testing with elevated privileges isn't best practices. We wouldn't give for security reasons admin rights on our testing teams. Ranorex should come with a solution

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Working at financial institutions (Banks, insurance, Credit Unions) - no way they give us admin rights on our box. Ranorex has just shrunk their market considerably.

• aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Running this application as admin is not an option in our company. I am going to guess this is the same in most others. Poorly built app. I am suggesting alternatives.

• Heather Gaynor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A normal user that would use the application does not have admin rights. Therefore running the test with admin rights is a false test.

• Pavel Kudrys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Running tests as "service" is not possible, because windows "service" does not have required rights and access to UI. In other words, this is not doable.

• Kerik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently the Agent must be executed using admin rights. It should be possible to run tests without it.

Furthermore, there have to be a user logged in to the machine that the Ranorex Agent can start.
    I would like to start the Agent "as a service" or "as a scheduled task", i.e. when the machine is restarted.

• Kevin Neumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really helpful!!
    As Raghavendra said, in large corporations it's nearly impossible to get admin rights for virtual users without auto-lock, screensaver and so on.

• sam1974 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Also many Web-Apps use the current windows users for login. If you start the test over the Ranorex Agent (which starts the test then with it's "known user" = the admin user) the SUT login will be the admin then. Often there are seperate users for the ones with local admin in big companies. You don't wanna have these "local admin users" as users within the SUT.

• Raghavendra J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be helpfull if it would be possible to run the remote agent client without admin rights because in larger corporations it is difficult to get a user with these rights

Feedback and Knowledge Base