Let us know your feature requests - also vote for others.

Improve databinding UI

The current way of how databinding and data connectors work is great. What is a little bit unhandy is how user sets and changes the binding. Currently you open a parameter and set to which module variable it will be bound (see binding_direction.png). What would be better is the ability to open the binding dialog for given module and set what paramater will be bound to what module variable (see dialog.png).
It wouldn't change anything inside the binding mechanism. The only thing needed is the enhanced UI. In fact, all the information are stored in the *.rxtst file and if it was possible I would code the enhanced UI myself (I could probably still do it but it would be outside Ranorex, that's not handy ...).
The need for this feature comes when you work with complex test cases when you have several (often the same) modules in one TC and you want to bind different values to each instance. Or if you just want to change one value (from one parameter to another) and you simply cannot find to what exact module instance it is bound.

46 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Zita shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminRanorex (Ranorex Product Management, Ranorex) responded  · 

Thank you for your input.

We have started working on a data-binding UI overhaul. The sum of changes that we plan will probably come in the next two versions of Ranorex (so not everything will already be in 9.2), and we hope to create a much better user experience when working with external data sources.

If you are interested in having “early access” to these new changes, please register for our Beta Program. There you can give us valuable feedback for further improvements in this feature: https://www.ranorex.com/beta-program/

Best Regards,
The Ranorex Studio Product Management Team

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • cb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very good and appreciated idea. In case you're starting to rework data binding within the next two versions please consider the following. A good enhancement would be the possibility to globally bind variables at once instead of several instances.

For example: You have a repository used in 10 recording modules and introduce a new repository variable "variable1". In this case you would have to open 10 data bindings in order to bind this value although you use this just in 2 effectively.

If you require some further input on this idea just let me know.

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"...The need for this feature comes when you work with complex test cases when you have several (often the same) modules in one TC and you want to bind different values to each instance...."

+1

• Douglas Vaughan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree wholeheartedly with this feature request. The ability to review the data binding context from listing bound module variables by parameter to listing parameter bindings by module variable would be extremely helpful.
    I would go further though and ask for additional information like whether the parameter is using the setter or getter in a particular situation. This would help track where a particular value is coming from and then used.

Feedback and Knowledge Base