Let us know your feature requests - also vote for others.

Add a recording module action for calling another recording module including databinding if needed

Add a recording module action for calling another recording module including databinding if needed.

For me as Testautomation Engineer it is not that difficult to write some Usercode to do this but for a Tester with no programming language background it is not.

e.g. : In our application we searching for medicaments, after a successful search we can do several actions with the search result. Therefore this search operation will be used many times and I sepparated this to sepparat recording module that consums the medicament as a parameter. If you do not want to use a user code action for calling this module, the only possibility is to split a testcase in several recording modules so you can use the search module between. So you will be forced to create some "dummy" recording modules. That is not very comfortable and during the time not maintainable.

24 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andreas KuttruffAndreas Kuttruff shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hubert MarxerHubert Marxer commented  · 

would be useful to build small recordings iI can use as a base for other recordings

• Tobias ScherzingerTobias Scherzinger commented  · 

In certain aspect with in a business process you want to change the databinding dynamically base on a filter or search result. This filter or search result is created with a recording module that runs some user code to dynamically change the databinding.

This databinding is then used by the following recording module in the same test case. To do this without this additionally recording module, with user code in it, it would be more comfortable to do this as a recording module action which calls the following recording module with the needed databinding.

• Christoph SchudelChristoph Schudel commented  · 

I would use this option too, if it was available. Often I create a number "mircro" recording that I put together in a "bigger" recording. With this approach I can create a number of "bigger" recording that differ slightly, using only selected "mirco" recorgings.
        The use case is this: When testing certain aspects within a business process some setup steps need to be done. When testing another aspect of the business process very similar setup steps need to be done. That means some setup steps are needed in both processes whereas others may differ. For example for one process a value in a drop box must be set to a particular value whereas in the other process the value of the dropbox is not relevant and therefore does not need to be set. So it would be very nice if the "micro" recordings could be called by a "bigger" (mother) recording. I'v done it a number of time in code, but it would be easier to read if it could be done straight as a recording action.

• RanorexAdminRanorex (Admin, Ranorex) commented  · 

Hi Andreas,

Thank you very much for your input. What's exactly the reason why you would like to do this on a recording level, rather than on a test suite level? Later option would offer you data binding for different search terms as well.

Cheers,
        Ranorex Product Management Team

Feedback and Knowledge Base