Let us know your feature requests - also vote for others.

Read Excel files from a Ranorextest without Microsoft Office installed

We want to start a Windows-Jenkins-Slave to start a Ranorex-Test in a Jenkins-pipeline. This scenario is only usefull if Ranorex could read Excell files without Microsoft Office installed (licensecost)

40 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sascha Vujevic shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminRanorex (Ranorex Product Management, Ranorex) responded  · 

Dear Ranorex users,

We’re happy to announce the release of Ranorex 8.3 which features data-driven testing using MS-Excel data sources without having MS Excel license installed (on runtime environment).

For more information, see our What’s New page:
    https://www.ranorex.com/what-is-new/#streamlines-remote-execution

You find the link to the most recent Ranorex Studio version on the Studio startpage or can download it from here:
    https://www.ranorex.com/free-trial/

Best regards,
    Ranorex Product Management Team

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Oleg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As mentioned you can use NPOI or, if you generate Excel 2007+ files (xlsx) then OpenSDK support is built in into .NET and there are plenty of code examples you can use.

• Wilco Rakhorst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you put a macro in your Excel file which saves it as a .csv file you can create a batch file which opens every Excel file in a folder and executes the macro and then saves the files as a .csv file. In this way you can edit your data in Excel en before you run your tests, you update your data source(s).
        If interested I can post the macro and the batch file.

• AdminRanorex (Ranorex Product Management, Ranorex) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to better understand your use cases. Therefore I need to know if your Excel files do contain macros and formulars or if the are just static?

For static Excel files I recommend to use CSV, like Kelly suggested.

Kind regards
        Ranorex Product Management Team

• Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use CSV files instead. They can be read/written by any text application (and Excel) and do not need Excel installed.

• Subodh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NPOI is the .net version of the POI Java project at http://poi.apache.org/. This tool reads and writes Excel workbooks without Microsoft Office suite being installed on your test machine

• Andreas Kuttruff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel Viewer doesn't work, beacause it seems that Ranorex uses the Excel COM interface.

But Ronorex should support open source file formats ou of the box.

• Rainer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We wannt ti execute our tests in the cloud. This scenario is only usefull if Ranorex could read Excell files without Microsoft Office installed - Licenseproblems
        We don't want to use csv because many collegues are familiar with excel

• Pavel Kudrys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be perfectly acceptable to install at least MS Excel viewer, which is free ;)

Feedback and Knowledge Base