Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

1. Be able to concatenate variables in a recording module without coding

For the moment the only way to concatenate two variables to give to a Ranorex built-in action can only be achieved via user code.

By example I have var1 and var2 and I set a keyboard press action. I want to be able to pass an argument like $var1+$var2

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your input.

We have currently already done a small proof-of-concept for this (for validation actions). However, it adds some additional complexity (because we need another Setting to toggle if the string should be just a string or if it should be evaluated for special characters that are used for the concatenation syntax).
    We have decided against shipping this feature, yet, because we don’t think that it feels right just of yet. However, we still have it on our backlog, and we will continue to try to find a good solution for this.

Best Regards,
    Thomas from the Ranorex Product Management Team

2. Databinding depending on Runconfig

To make full use of data driven testing approach it would be great to be able to switch the input data depending on the runconfig or at least be able to siwtch the input data by any trigger to make reuse of tests already written.
    Example : I have a Ranorex Solution for the programm i am supposed to test. I now implemented basic tests like is it possible to login and does the happy path for features work with a minimum of testdata. This runs in CI after each build with a sql database as datasource.
    Now i want…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Report improvement - option to export report in CHM (compiled HTML help file) format

Hi,

Currently, Ranorex reports are not easy to distribute and view for non-technical people and people without installed Ranorex. Ranorex Report viewer does not exists as a standalone setup file and even if there would be such a thing like Rx report viewer installation package, people don't like installing an extra SW just for viewing reports ;)

Yes, we can save reports in HTML format, but this option creates list of files, which must be first compressed for easy distribution and then again, people must do some extra steps to view HTML-based report. True, there is available also PDF conversion,…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Support for screen dpi Scaling above 100%

Today's computers have HD screens or above, and for most laptop, it makes everything so small that ALL of the manufacturers recommend to use the Scaling at 125%
    All laptops that we use have the scaling 125% as a standard setting

We are testing desktop apps and Web pages
    All of those UI need to work fine in such a typical configuration: 125%
    I request that Ranorex supports the 125% dpi scaling in a much better way.
    All support blog that I see indicate to use only 100% scaling on all screens.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Fill the cases attributes (Type, Priority...) in Testrail automatically with Ranorex Studio

Fill the cases attributes (Type, Priority...) in Testrail automatically with Ranorex Studio.
    These fields would appears and could be fill in Ranorex Studio when the Testrail integration would be done.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make it possible to extend an existing repository, similar to sub-classing

We're testing an application which has a few variations with a series of elements that are common to all variants. Ideally we should be able to have one core repository with all common elements and "child repositories" that inherit from the core for each variant. This way modifications in a core repository would propagate to all child repositories and we could even have elements in child repositories that are found within containers defined at the parent/common level. Presently, we have to either include one same repository in test suites for each variant and have all variations' UI elements included in…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Update plugin ranorex for jenkins (Multiple TestSuite Project)

It would be very useful if you update the Ranorex Plugin for Jenkins, to run multiple TestSuite.

For exemple, if we have a Project that contains three testSuites and we want to run only two of three testSuites through Jenkins, we will be obliged to enabled or disabled the testSuite from the sequence file in every execution.

Thank You.

Best Regards,

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Please add support for Perforce souce control

Since Ranorex does not support Perforce source control it is very hard to merge the .rxrep and .rxtst files when multiple people are developing in parallel.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Avoid TestRail Sync - Manual Mapping of Tests

Due to a recent bug that messed up my TestRail tests and my workflow I would love to get rid off the 2way sync between TestRail and Ranorex.

When I create tests I do this in TestRail...with a good documentation...good steps and so on...so as perfect as possible.

Then I just want to add a test in ranorex, right click on it and "Set TestRail ID...".
    From that time, the test is mapped to test testrail test without any synchronisation....just an easy mapping.

Benefits:
    - a sync error doesnt mess up the most important thing about my tests (the project…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Popupwatcher screenshot

Add possibility to take a screenshot anytime a popupwatcher object is recognized.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. ReportToPDF: Support for Rich Text/HTML Format

Hi,

during conversion from .rxlog to .pdf report, the HTML format is getting lost, which results in heterogeneous layout. This also naturally includes embedded images and text alignment. It would be a great feature, to have format consistency across all supported Ranorex reports so that their format won't change.

Best,
    Milan

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add support for custom grid elements in Ellie Mae application

At this time, the grid elements in the Ellie Mae application are only accessible via the GDI plugin on a non-Windows 10 machines. Adding direct WPF plugin support for these custom grid elements will greatly improve object recognition and automation in the Ellie Mae application as these grid elements are used widely throughout.

[Support.US: Idea submitted on customers behalf (#31972)]

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Upload the report automatically to the created Jira issue

Since version 9.1.0, I started to use Jira integration, I use automatically issue handling.

I'd like to see an option to upload the report to the created jira issue.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make useful Video reporting if multiple screens are used by SUT.

I tried to set Source screen: Auto. I expected to show that particular screen content in recorded video where action (ex. mouse click) is executed by Ranorex. This is not working.
    With this setting, Ranorex captures the content of the screen on which the physical mouse click occurred. So if Ranorex Studio's window is on Screen 2 (i.e. mouse is clicked on Screen 2 when test is started), and SUT is using Screen 1 and Screen 2, not any action is captured by video which occurs on Screen 1 even if Mouse Click action is played on Screen 1. So…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback.

The way how our video reporting works at the moment forbids us to change the screen during runtime. Changing that would be a full rewrite of this feature. The only thing that we could do rather easily is to extend the screen capture to all screens, however, this would probably be rather taxing on the system.

Best Regards,
    Thomas from the Ranorex Product Management Team

15. Please add an option to map the Ranorex automation result to the custom status on the Test Rail

The automation test results are defaulting to the system 'Test Status' on TestRail.

(e.g)Ranorex - Test Rail (System name)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Successful - Passed (passed)
    Failed - Failed (failed)
    Blocked - Untested (untested)

As shown in the attached image we have some custom test statuses on TestRail (e.g Automation Pass, Automation Fail) instead of the System status we want use our custom test status in Test Rail for the Ranorex automation results
    Please consider adding this as a feature in Ranorex to map the automation test results to a custom test status on TestRail?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Change Key Press Time for all Keyboard-Actions in Solution

It would be nice, if there would a setting to change the Keyboard "Press time" for all Key Sequence Actions currently available in the solution. So you can change ALL Keysequences from 100ms to 20ms for example. At the moment, there only is a setting for "Keyboard relation action time (ms)" in "Recorder Defaults", which only effects new Keyboard-Actions. It is a pain to change every Key-Sequence when you got over 100 Testcases.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Have option to ignore case when comparing UI text vs a database variable

I have a scenario where I need to compare text that is in a table on my page vs a value returned from a data driven loop. If the text on the UI is cased differently than my db value, it fails. I had to write code to convert the db variable to match the casing to do the compare. It seems very simple to have check to say "ignore case" and do the compare as all lowercase conversions.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ranorex recorder does not identifies Xpaths having relational operators in Object Repository

Many objects in our object repository contain relational operators like following-sibling, preceding-sibling, ancestor, parent etc., for example as shown below:

//b[@innertext='abc']/ancestor::tr/td[2]
    //a[@innertext='xyz']/parent::td/following-sibling::td
    //select[@id='abc123']/parent::td/preceding-sibling::td/label

Such objects can be highlighted using Spy without any issues, but not picked up in the recordings.

The recorder is creating duplicate objects for such elements with Xpaths like below:

body/div[2]/div/div[1]/div/div/?/?/table/tbody/tr[2]/td[@innertext~'^ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ ']

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Build number

Please can you add a Build (version) number field to the 'Launch Test Run' dialog for TestRail results. Currently we have to edit the TestRail.trsd file and update the "ResultFields" section every time we test with a new build number. See the attached screenshot for a possible solution.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base