Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

1. XPath not() option - make sure html attribute is not available

With Xpath it is possible to use the not() function to check that a specific attribute of an element does not exist.
    See: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/XPath/Functions/not

Currently it is only possible to use UserCode methods or besides that to use a @visible. However @visible does only work, if the search html element is currently visible on the screen. If a scroll would be necessary to see the element that would not work.

Creating a user code function for a feature which already exists in xpath would only be a workaround.

RxPath should be extended with features like not() to make it easier…

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Integration of Ranorex reports with TM4J (Adaptavist)

Good afternoon friends ! We, in our company, came up with a great idea - to integrate the reports generated by Ranorex into Jira. In Jira, there is an excellent tool for managing the testing process (TM4J (Adaptavist)), which allows you to create test scripts (step-by-step descriptions) and also receive, save and process the results of autotests developed for these scenarios. Further, with the help of a tool that creates visual visual graphs, we can consolidate and visually see the general statistics of the results of passing automatic tests, for example, in one day! ) This is very cool, really!…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Test sequence UX/IU improvements

When having lots of test suites in the project it would be great for option 'Select/Deselect all'. Also please provide drag and drop functionality to change order of test suites instead of using outdated UP/DOWN arrow keys. P.S. Yes, I know about run configurations but this suggestion I made (in my opinion) would be beneficial for lots of users who have many test suites but don't have strict strategy running defined test suites.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support for JxBrowser version 7.3 and above

Hello,

Ranorex 9.2 is currently missing support for the latest versions of the popular JxBrowser v7.x.

JxBrowser version 6 is supported, but once the product is updated to v 7.3 (in my case), Ranorex Spy cannot detect any page elements.

Thanks,
    Bogdan L

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Ranorex to export results to TestRail plan as well as run (have a collection of runs)

When I have a data connector on my test runs, so it will iterate my tests for example in different browsers, I want to have my results exported to TestRail as a test plan (collection of runs) instead of a TestRail test run.

With it being a test run, each iteration result overwrites the previous iterations run result, and therefore only shows one result for each of the test cases, not one per iteration.

This is possible only at present by running one iteration at a time, and pointing it to the test run that already exists within the existing…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. BUG - when I use smart folder attached mapped to csv, but that csv does not exist on a remote agent, then the test fails

smart folders - if I deliberately set up smart folders to run locally with csv connectors mapped, or remotely and those smart folders are ignored because those csv files are not on the remote (and I populate the parameters in command line instead), then the test fails because despite the folder should be ignored, it fails because no csv is there.

If i create an empty csv file in the location ranorex knows, then it passes and skips those folders. This behaviour is wrong

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ranorex Spy 9 - Generate C# code should include the [RepositoryImage] public CompressedImage GetScreenShot1() item

I observed the difference as follows:

1) Open Ranorex Studio IDE. Create a new project. Create the object repository with a ScreenShot1. Build the solution. Ranorex has automatically generated C# code for the object repository. The generated C# code contains the [RepositoryImage] public CompressedImage GetScreenShot1() item as seen below.

/// <summary>

/// Gets the Screenshot1 item image.
    /// </summary>
    /// <returns>The Screenshot1 image.</returns>
    [RepositoryImage("33ceaf78-8cb7-4728-ab7e-947fa014fd2e")]
    public CompressedImage GetScreenshot1()
    {
    return GetImage("33ceaf78-8cb7-4728-ab7e-947fa014fd2e");
    }

2) Open Ranorex Spy 9. Create the object repository with a ScreenShot1 and manually generate C# code. The generate C# code does not contain the [RepositoryImage] public CompressedImage GetScreenShot1()…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Generate Documentation from TestSuite

It would be very useful, if we have a possibility to generate documentation from an existing Ranorex Suite/Testcase. It should contain detailed, which actions are executed in the used modules (for example button is clicked, textfield is filled and validated). The generation should be possible without executing the tests (therefore no Ranorex Report). It should be like a simulation of the test execution.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. LicenseManager running with Linux Server

To avoid high licence costs for Windows Server, a small licence manager within Linux OS would be nice. It can be used within .NET Core 3.1. but better would be native Linux implementation.

Our UseCase:
    Having several VM in a Cloud environment e.g. Azure, starting from scratch and beeing deleted after test, it is not possible to copy and run the Ranorex Licence directily on the VM, because the risk of loosing the licence is too high if the VM crash. Running a Ubuntu Server in Azure is half the price as a Windows Server per month. So we would…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ranorexpath - shorthand for multiple wildcards

In Ranorexpath, it would be handy to have a shorthand for multiple successive wildcards.
    In e.g. WPF applications with deeply nested structures and large tables or lists, we noticed performance of the // wildcard is very poor. As a workaround, we often use a succession of /? wildcards. For the cases where we need multiple, it would be handy to have a shorthand with a number instead of typing out the a series of /?.

Example: /?5 instead of /?/?/?/?/?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Bring back SmartFolder information in ProgressDialog

Since upgrading from Ranorex 9.1.2 to 9.2.1 the progress dialog is missing SmartFolder information.
    This is a valuable information that is used to investigate failures since we use extensively Smart Folders in all of our test cases.
    Please bring back this feature ... or at least give us the option to customize it !

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Improve databinding

With Version 9.3 databinding has changed so that is hardly to use for my test cases. I have 50 databinding files from different projects. Now the option ‘Copy file to project’ has to be used. All databinding files are now in my project directory. This makes the directory quite complex. It would be perfect if the databinding files could be grouped in different folders. Furthermore it would be great if databinding files from other projects could be selected in the data sources without ‘Copy file to my project’. At the moment I have to use the pre-build event to copy…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Need JIRA xray test management integration with Ranorex

The feature should automatically update the test status ,test evidence and other details based on the Xray Test ID.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Create a new Jira issue once a previous Jira from the same solution is closed. Currently, the old one just gets reopened

If my solution fails it creates a Jira. We fix the problem, rerun the solution and the Jira gets closed. Works well. However, if the same solution runs on it's next scheduled run and fails, it does not create a new Jira. It just reopens the old one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. need to view mapped test suite references to a module

when I have mapped repo items into a module, it is possible to right click on that repo item and find test module references. Need a way to do that same thing with the module and seeing where (if any) is mapped to a test suite. That way I know if a module is not used, or mapped/in use multiple times inside of a test suite and knowing which test cases it is used in.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Microsoft Azure Key Vault

Possibility to use the Microsoft Azure Key Vault to store und share Ranorex Floating Licences without installing the License Manager.

This would ease the whole licensing procedure when working with Azure VM environments.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Report improvement - option to export report in CHM (compiled HTML help file) format

Hi,

Currently, Ranorex reports are not easy to distribute and view for non-technical people and people without installed Ranorex. Ranorex Report viewer does not exists as a standalone setup file and even if there would be such a thing like Rx report viewer installation package, people don't like installing an extra SW just for viewing reports ;)

Yes, we can save reports in HTML format, but this option creates list of files, which must be first compressed for easy distribution and then again, people must do some extra steps to view HTML-based report. True, there is available also PDF conversion,…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please make it possible to know how many test case in a Test suite and how many steps a Test case has

Currently it not possible to know how many test case a test siute has if you didnt snyc the test suite to Testrail.
    It would be really useful to know how many test case a test suite has.

Also to know how many steps a test case has. Just like an example, a Test case consists 1 recording, 2 code module, 1 smart folder and smart folder has 4 code module. In this case Test case could have 7 steps.
    It could help us fo find out the complexity of test cases

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Databinding depending on Runconfig

To make full use of data driven testing approach it would be great to be able to switch the input data depending on the runconfig or at least be able to siwtch the input data by any trigger to make reuse of tests already written.
    Example : I have a Ranorex Solution for the programm i am supposed to test. I now implemented basic tests like is it possible to login and does the happy path for features work with a minimum of testdata. This runs in CI after each build with a sql database as datasource.
    Now i want…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)