Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us at Ranorex Uservoice.

Let us know your feature requests - also vote for others.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Please improve the API documentation, e.g. with code examples

The documentation of the Ranorex API is extremely minimalistic, making it very hard (if not impossible sometimes) to understand and use it. In my opinion, most explanations for classes, attributes and methods are so short that they provide no help at all. Information on how to work with the classes in context is missing. In rare cases you'll find some examples in the forum, but in general you're lost. Please take the trouble to really improve the API documentation. And/or offer some Advanced Training for automation engineers who want to learn the API. Thanks!

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for bringing this to our attention. This topic is currently the number one topic in our User Voice. We are aware that our API documentation is far from perfect, and we see the value in improving it ourselves.

We are currently investigating the options we have for this API documentation. We are not sure yet about details like the format or the platform. Additionally, there are some parts of the API are not meant for public use and only enable Ranorex Studio to do specific things, etc.

This means, we are aware of the issue and we are trying to figure out how to tackle this best.

Best Regards,
    The Ranorex Product Management Team

2. Reuse Testcases

Make it possible to use a testcase more than once in a testsuite, just as it is possible to reuse a recording or code module. This would allow more modular use of testcases.

115 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Visual Studio plugin

Many Ranorex users prefer to use the MS Visual Studio IDE because of it's power and familiarity for .NET coding. It would be nice if Ranorex would make a VS plugin that was capable of presenting the test suites, repos, and modules the same way that Ranorex Studio does. This would allow us to use whichever IDE we are most comfortable with.

109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your input.

What are the exact features that you would want to have? What should this plugin’s functionality be?

The minimun requirement would probably be an easy-to-use repository in some way, but what would you need in addition to that?

We would appreciate some feedback on this.

Best Regards,

4. Remote view of licence server status

We have a limited number of licenses running via a license server.

It would be useful if there was a way that we could check the license server status remotely via a webservice api or http server.

At present I need to remote onto the appropriate box then check the licence info and confirming that licences are free before launching a test run.

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re happy to announce an early release of a license statistic tool. Please feel free to download the application and to provide us with feedback (pm@ranorex.com).

Download: https://download.ranorex.com/s/Yqb8b7DHDMc4Xbo
    Readme: https://download.ranorex.com/s/HCtgeDnbpad4jxa

Note: The download package has been replaced by a new one as there were some files missing in the old package (2018-03-01 3:30 PM, CET.)

Ranorex Product Management Team

5. Search with Multiple Keywords in Group Module Browser.

We are working on a project with large number of Group Modules (200+) and this number keeps on increasing. So, it is a hectic job to search group modules with single keyword as the search will result in large number of group modules with the same keyword in its name. Searching group modules with multiple keywords like "keyword1" and "keyword2" will make searching of Group Modules very easy.

66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. License Manager: Administrator can release a blocked floating license

Hi all,
    I want to know how I or our administrator can unlock a floating license via the Ranorex License Manager?

Situation:
    •User A starts Ranorex Studio using one Floating license
    •User A leaves his Computer (while Ranorex Studio is running) and goes home
    •User B wants to start Ranorex Studio using the Floating license which is blocked by User A

Requirement:
    •certain persons (i.e. Administrator) with access to lic manager can close active connections manually

Goal:
    •set locked floating license free manually via license manager

Thanks.
    Niko

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Publish official Ranorex NuGet package

Please publish the core Ranorex libraries in an official NuGet package in order to allow for easier management of Ranorex integration into projects.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Currently we are investigating all possible use cases for this idea.
    It would help us a lot if you could comment your project setup and how you are adding Ranorex to it. Thx a lot.

Best regards
    Ranorex Product Management

8. Pause/Resume Current Testcase with Hotkey

Actual there is no way to pause a Testcase , only to Abort the current Testcase or the whole Solution.

We need this feature , because we use Ranorex as semi automatic Hardware testenviroment and we want to allow the users to pause a test, fix the hardware and then resume the current testcase.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for input. We are currently in the middle of developing this feature. There will be a hotkey for pausing and resuming the test execution of a test run. We need your help in evaluating and beta testing it, though. If you are interested in helping us by getting early access to this feature and by providing us feedback, please reach out to us using pm@ranorex.com.

Best Regards,

9. Currently there is no way to resume test case from its last failed point (of recording module) in Test suite runner.

Example
    Test suite has 1 Test case and 1 recording module with 15 actions in it. Now it failed at action no 8 and I want to resume running remaining test after fixing issue with my SUT but seems there is no way to do so.

a. With runtime license, one cannot see the actions in the recording module so one cannot resume the test from action 8.
    b. With floating license, one can see the actions, but it opens up in Ranorex studio and loses all the values of the variables set in Ranorex test suite window (instead uses…

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow Variables as part of Validate action Match Value regex in Ranorex UI

Often when validating e.g. confirmation messages e.g. "Username has done something" I have a need to make username a variable read from dataset or parameter. In that case Match Value in validate statement would look like "@varUsername has done something". Unfortunately this is not currently supported by Ranorex making validation of dynamic regex expressions containing variable part not possible unless you do it via User Code action.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Improve databinding UI

The current way of how databinding and data connectors work is great. What is a little bit unhandy is how user sets and changes the binding. Currently you open a parameter and set to which module variable it will be bound (see binding_direction.png). What would be better is the ability to open the binding dialog for given module and set what paramater will be bound to what module variable (see dialog.png).
    It wouldn't change anything inside the binding mechanism. The only thing needed is the enhanced UI. In fact, all the information are stored in the *.rxtst file and if…

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have started working on a data-binding UI overhaul. The sum of changes that we plan will probably come in the next two versions of Ranorex (so not everything will already be in 9.2), and we hope to create a much better user experience when working with external data sources.

If you are interested in having “early access” to these new changes, please register for our Beta Program. There you can give us valuable feedback for further improvements in this feature: https://www.ranorex.com/beta-program/

Best Regards,
    The Ranorex Studio Product Management Team

12. It`s not possible to update NuGet client version

I wanted to add the System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController Package but it`s not possible because for installing this package I need a NuGet client Version > 2.12.
    I tried to update the NuGet Package Manager without any success which means at the moment I`m not able to install the package which is really needed for my further tests.
    My current version is 2.8.XXXXXX.

It would be great to have always the newest NuGet version or to have an opportunity to update it.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Sorting repository items

It would be nice to have the option to sort repository items. When adding additional items into the repository the ability to find items becomes more difficult. My naming convention is such that items are labeled to first identify where they are within the applications so when reviewing the repo items I could see if all the objects were captured and without being able to sort the Repo items this is more difficult to accomplish (having the search capability is great)

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Conditions enhancement: option to exclude unfulfilled conditional sections from report

Please consider adding an option to exclude unfulfilled conditional sections from report. For example, in my tests, I'm typically running just one section from let's say 5 or 10, but report still shows all these unfulfilled sections. They not only clutter the report with irrelevant sections (no matter they are grayed out) but they also make the report unnecessary big.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are currently investigating a few improvements for the conditions feature.

We still think that conditions should almost never be used in black box testing, but we see them as a tool that can and should be used in a few exceptions. Therefore we don’t want to build upon what we currently have to make it a full feature. However, we will consider a few Quality of Life improvements.

Best Regards,

15. Easier web service testing

Although you have your blogs how to do web testing with Ranorex in general, it would be awesome if there is more out-of-the-box support which makes it easier to test my web service

(submitted via email and analogously translated to match the purpose of this platform)

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. IntelliSense as in Visual Studio + Row Autocomplete C# (;) with Shift+Enter

IntelliSense in Ranorex lags behind comparing to Visual Studio's one. It would be great to have these features working in the same way in Ranorex. There's is also missing option how to complete a row with a simple key shorcut -- Shitft+Enter would be fine...

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Provide an option for Teardown regions that they will only be executed on fail

An option to make the Teardown region only execute on failure. So in the Test Suite, I could right click on a global (Test Suite-level) teardown region and select an option to execute only on failure.
    The reason for this is that I can then have a simple teardown module that would kill the test application process (as in your new Automation Helper Method). Then in a Test case I would try to close KeePass cleanly, but if this went wrong or any other module failed, then the global teardown would execute and kill the application ready for the next…

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cleanup / Remove unused modules

I know in the Repository you can click the cleanup button and it will clean up the repository for you.
    I am wondering if you could add something similar that I can click on to cleanup / remove unused modules?
    I know I can right click on each one and select show all references and see if it is in use or not, but with almost 200 modules in my test case that’s going to take a while. It would be nice to have a similar button / feature like the repository cleanup button but for unused modules.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add possibility to change duration for ApplicationNotRespondingException by code

It is possible to change this on a PC in RanorexConfig8.xml.

There is 2 problems:
    1) It is not in the project
    2) It is not possible to change it during a test (I need this for my application)

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow "run from here" at the Test Suite level

In a test module you can "Run To Here" and "Run From Here", but at the test suite level you can only "Run To Here."

Often when a running test suite encounters a problem I stop the test, fix the problem, then wish to continue. To do so I have to manually run each Test Case individually.

If that happens in a test module I can fix the problem then start the test module using Run From Here. I can also use Run To Here in a module.

I should be able to right-click a test case in the test…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21
  • Don't see your idea?

Ideas to Improve Ranorex

Feedback and Knowledge Base